Re: The Future of the Point of Sale

Thanks for the replies, here's my thoughts on the feedback so far:

First, please note that the next step for us is focused on the hardware, so
while I'm all ears for the rest, it will not happen before we've completed
what's covered in the campaign, and the work I do after the campaign may
not be on the POS for some time.

So while we all seem to agree that customer discount, pricelist, fidelity
cards, etc. are a big missing part in the POS, considering the planning and
manpower available, it may not happen before a while.

That is unless the community can get together and contribute changes going
into that direction ? It would definitely be welcomed ! Another way is to
make the campaign an even bigger success so the goals can be extended ? I'm
sure you can do something about that as well :)

So, about adding customer to orders, setting custom pricelists, managing
fidelity points, customer frequency etc. I think we all agree on what needs
to be done, we just need to find a way to get it done.

Secondly, there are some requests that make perfect sense - like the order
on one station, and processing on another one,  better workflow integration
- that are made very difficult to implement because the offline mode.
 Offline mode is an interesting feature, but it has a very very high cost
on the complexity and evolution of the pos. That is because supporting
something offline means that we have to implement it in javascript in an
interoperable way with the server. This is a very complicated thing to do,
for example we suffered many bugs due to the accounting not being done
_exactly_ as on the server.

So there will always be feature available on the server and missing on the
POS. What we need to do is to find which of those missing features are the
most important, and which we can live without.  And for the missing
features, maybe we need to communicate better about that, and fail less
silently - which is not easy to do.

"If, the development include "Serial Port" in a generic way, "PySerial"
maybe, we have +10 countries which the print feature can not use ESC/POS
protocol."

For this campaign I can only guarantee that we'll support ESC/POS. I'll
look into the library provided to see what I can take from it. I suppose
that once we've put up good foundations, it will be a trivial task to add
support for different protocols.

Supporting a large number of products (> 16 000) is currently made very
difficult by the fact that browser database do not support full text search
and thus we are limited by the performance of javascript search. Supporting
that many product also makes product synchronisation at load much more
complicated. My estimation is that the upper limit we can achieve is 50K
products, which should be doable as part of some big pos implementation
project ?

And payment by invoice is already in trunk.

As for the development branches I'll post them once I've cleaned all the
mess :)

- Fred.