Re: [Openerp-community-reviewer] New booking chart and web core modules

Nice summary Pedro.

  But there is a statement there that raised my attention: "Set a path to
contributors to become reviewers"
  I may be missing something, but as far as I know, there are no vested
reviewers:
  anyone can be a reviewer in any MP they feel confident enough to give an
opinion about.
  Only a few are able to actually do the merge, but that's just the
"administrative" part of the MP.

Regards
   Daniel

Quoting Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero <pedro.baeza@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hi, community,

Sorry in advance for the long message.

I think we have to talk about two different topics that are under the OCA umbrella: OCB branches and community repositories.

For OCB BRANCHES, there are not too much discussion: it's mandatory that we have them on Launchpad, because there are too many dependencies on LP that cannot be avoided (see this Olivier Dony answer[1] about this question on other thread) and we must go here together with OpenERP S. A.

About COMMUNITY REPOSITORIES, the question that Raphael has exposed is critical: the future and maintanability of them. Having lived a part of the evolution of them, this is what I think:

* In some way, we are trying to compensate the lack of a global quality OpenERP repository. OpenERP Apps doesn't count, because the categorization in it is not very accurate (it depends on the module manifest) and there is a lot of "dummy" modules that makes a few (usability module, for example). * The only way we have for now is to group relevant modules in a repository to make it in somehow available to the groups of interest. * We have used Launchpad to continue with the same tools as the mother project.
  * These tools have conditioned the organization / reviewing process.
* Although we are admitting a lot of new modules, it follows some criteria (for now based on the sense of the reviewers) to avoid only usability modules (we have talked about this on other thread also). * Reviewers can use their expertise to teach newcomers on good practises, and these newcomers will be soon the next teachers (this is for example my case). This musn't been interpreted as a dictatorial regime, but some work rules to assure quality. If these practises are not correct, we can change or refine them. * We don't have the obligation to maintain across the versions all the modules that are included in some momment on the community repositories, but to assure that when something arrives to them (a new module or an adaptation to a new version of an old one), it has enough quality to enter. * These reviewings can be exhausting, but we are attracting each day more contributors that helps with this process. * Nobody have the obligation to publish their modules on community repositories. They can use their own repositories, even hosting on others CVS. * My hope is to set these repositories as the reference where someone goes when he wants to contribute.

So, said that, to keep this initiative healthy, this is IMHO what we have to do:

* Set clear rules for the reviewing process. This is already done and will be merged on official documentation.
  * Set a path to contributors to become reviewers.
* Reward contributors with some visibility on OCA mediums (web and so on), to encourage new contributions. * Set rules for admission of modules. This is not easy, but it can be done with a few exceptions.

Now, about LAUNCHPAD AND GITHUB, I feel the same as Raphael in the questions he told (performance, acknowledgment, subprojects, etc), and maybe we can switch community repositories to GitHub to avoid questions like the one that has started this debate, but this must be assured:

* We have a way to integrate translations for easy contributions. I'm already working on having Launchpad translations on community repositories and I see this as mandatory.
  * We must assure atribution and permissions.
  * We cannot lose contribution history.
  * Reconstruct documentation with the new contribution path.
* We must have anyway synched Launchpad repository/repositories to enable modules on apps.openerp.com[2].

As you see, this a lot of work to do and questions to solved, but Raphael, if you're willing to work on this, I can help you and propose to the community a concrete proposal to make the switch.

Regards.