Re: About OpenERP Enterprise contract value...

On 2014-02-24 14:50, Dominique Chabord wrote:

 * For big companies it is out of question to migrate every 6,12,18 month
   The old system we have developed was enhanced in functionality, but
   no "migration" was necessary for +25 YEARS!!!
   We just changed the hardware, the underlying database versions etc.
   but this was not "visible" to the user.
   Hence no cost for re-education, no problems of changed behaviour, no
   uncertainty....
 * The problem is not so much the migration of OpenERP modules, but the
   modules created by partners for their clients.
   As a partner you can not guarantee the client, that a module which
   was developed for him for v6 will work in v7 without minor or major
   redesign.
   Many client will not accept this situation.
   Unfortunately the changes are not well documented (at least to my
   knowledge) and must be reverse engineered, which is costly. - Just
   to name a few .. the list is almost endless
     o change of partner / address model
     o lost functionality of base contact
     o merge of project - analytic account
     o loss of wiki in v8 (the blog does not replace it fully)
     o redesign of various forms often require redesign of inherited forms.
 * These cost on the partner side are not covered by the OPW and the
   800EUR/ 1000loc.
   The table below gives estimated 37.000EUR migration cost at OpenERP
   rates for c2c-rd-addons, difficult to convince small customers to
   pay this every year (each release) or so.....
   Many of these modules (1000 community modules!!! for full featured
   OpenERP) enhance basic modules - provide missing functionality,
   which is sometimes provided completely or partial (that is a major
   problem) in the next release.
   On top nobody knows if migrated modules will work as expected,
   without thorough tests by partner and client, costs which are
   obviously not included in the 800EUR/1000loc but real.
   A partner never will take the responsibility and install (complex)
   modules migrated by a third party without testing them.

Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC)                = 47,231

To sum up:
I am not against development and OpenERP does a good job here.
It's just very costly for partners to follow and hence reduces the profitability.

just my 2-3¢
Ferdinand

Hello J-A