Re: Webkit Reports (and other deprecated modules) future

Hi Lionel,

we also have this papersize problem on one project. Just want to print
label from label printer.

And i totally agree sometime a new module is nice. But some time it mean
you have copy&paste of the original module, than you can make better a fork.
So in this case the "no new feature to stable" policy is stupid. In this
case not all parameter of webkit are not supported from the python
class. Adding this breaks nothing, has no risk for other installation
but make the live easy for the few people needing it.

I m not happy to maintain my own branch but at the moment OpenERP S.A.
force it.

Markus

On 22.09.2014 09:47, Lionel Sausin wrote:
> Le 22/09/2014 08:58, Alexandre Fayolle a écrit :
>> The proper way of handling this would be to propose an *addon* to OCA
>> adding the papersize feature / report with no margin.
> We tried that and it's a mess too. The original code is not modular, so
> that makes big chunks of copy-paste for every 2 line patches, and the
> modules won't even be compatible with each other.
>
> So I see no other choice but to fork (and it's OK too). I can see 3 ways
> we can do it:
> 1/ each of us maintains his own branch until after v9 (current situation)
> 2/ we share a single module called "report_webkit_community" that will
> host a complete copy/paste of the official module, and which replaces
> all the standard objects at runtime (inherit without calling super() )
> 3/ we make a feature-branch to host all our patches - those who want to
> use it can merge it on their own instance. If hosted by OCA, it could be
> be something like OCB/7.0-feature-base_report_webkit. Would OCA be
> willing to bear the burden of reviewing PRs on this branch - and the
> probable others regarding document_ftp, project_long_term, ... ? Then
> OCB would become "Odoo Comunity Branches" :)
>
> Lionel.

Dipl.-Comp.-Math. Markus Schneider
Softwareentwickler

initOS GmbH & Co. KG
An der Eisenbahn 1
21224 Rosengarten

Mobil:   +49 (0)172 2303699
Phone:   +49 (0)4105 5615613
Fax:     +49 (0)4105 5615610

Email:   markus.schneider@xxxxxxxxxx
Web:     http://www.initos.com

Geschäftsführung:
Dipl. Wirt.-Inf. Frederik Kramer & Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Torsten Francke
Haftende Gesellschafterin: initOS Verwaltungs GmbH

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Rosengarten – Klecken
Amtsgericht Tostedt, HRA 201840
USt-IdNr: DE 275698169
Steuer-Nr: 15/205/21402