Re: Licenses guidelines for OCA modules

Hi all,

short update from my side, as thinking about this topic.

I recommend:

A) Using Full Header as GNU Recommended

or

B) Using SPDX-License Header.
This is new in Open Source and maybe will make its way.
Frederik did already some research with that and we can scan complete
projects of licenses conflict. That is pretty awesome and may help us in
the future.

BUT don't invent something by our own.

About the Authorship. I see several way, so some marks:

- Their should be at least one author or Organization
- the inital module/file create is a commend option
- the current maintainer can added as well
- i prefer to collect 'contributor' collect to __openerp__ to make
header not to big (for every patch adder)
- we just can add in each header "OCA + Year" as Author as the CLA
allows to republish as the name of OCA and the human author is in
__openerp__

Hope this helps to get the discussion forward.

Kind Regards

Markus

On 08.01.2015 11:46, Yannick Vaucher wrote:
> This is a good idea to follow some standard.
>
> However, SPDX meta tag "SPDX-License-Identifier" is not yet widely used.
>
> It seems that it was firstly used by U-boot project
> https://github.com/linux-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi/commit/1a4596601fd395f3afb8f82f3f840c5e00bdd57a
>
> AFAICT it is still under draft proposal:
> http://wiki.spdx.org/view/Technical_Team/SPDX_Meta_Tags
> http://www.fossology.org/issues/6051
>
> So the idea is good to try to comply with SPDX, and if we agree with
> this early adoption, then here would be the new header:
>
> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-||
> |# Copyright 2015 <company or author>|
> # SPDX-License-Identifier: AGPL-3
> # For license see __openerp__.py or http://spdx.org/licenses/AGPL-3.0||
>
> With author and contributors in __openerp__.py
>
> And I'm not sure about what to put or not in __openerp__.py and weither
> or not we should keep the pointer to __openerp__.py
> Nevertheless, as our modules can be downloaded from apps.odoo.com
> <http://apps.odoo.com>, and thus it wouldn't include root LICENSE file,
> we do need to keep __openerp__.py as it or to include LICENSE file at
> module level.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Yannick Vaucher
> Business Solutions Software Developer
>
> Camptocamp SA
> PSE A, CH-1015 Lausanne
> Phone: +41 21 619 10 30
> Office: +41 21 619 10 10
> http://www.camptocamp.com/
>
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 7:10 PM, Jerry Van Baren <gvb.openerp@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:gvb.openerp@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 01/05/2015 06:09 AM, Yannick Vaucher wrote:
>>     Most developers dislike redundancy, thus, all are tempted to
>>     reduce the size of source code by reducing or completly removing
>>     redundant license from source files. [1]
>     [snip]
>>     To be said I'm completely against removing completely the header I
>>     think a minimal copyright must be present in each source file to
>>     be read by the one who opens the file.
>     Suggestion: switch to the SPDX notation on as the license note in
>     the header of the files. This achieves minimal footprint in a
>     machine and human recognizable format using a standard format (for
>     some definition of standard).
>
>     Random(ish) example: cmd_fdt.c
>     <http://git.denx.de/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=common/cmd_fdt.c;h=dc59fab8280dc57f0ae546ad552215dea0d99774;hb=HEAD>

>       * http://spdx.org/about-spdx
>       * http://spdx.org/licenses/
>       * http://spdx.org/SPDX-specifications/spdx-version-1.2
>
>>     To be minimalist, from what I read there thought, we could also
>>     accept minimal header with license like this
>>     |# Copyright 2015 <author>
>>     # <notice where to find full licence>|
>>     (with full license in __openerp__.py for exemple)
>>     Exemple here [2]
>     Agreed, but I would use the SPDX notation in the header to make it
>     standard(ish) and scannable.
>>
>>     Our options:
> [...]

Dipl.-Comp.-Math. Markus Schneider
Softwareentwickler

initOS GmbH & Co. KG
An der Eisenbahn 1
21224 Rosengarten

Mobil:   +49 (0)172 2303699
Phone:   +49 (0)4105 5615613
Fax:     +49 (0)4105 5615610

Email:   markus.schneider@xxxxxxxxxx
Web:     http://www.initos.com

Geschäftsführung:
Dipl. Wirt.-Inf. Frederik Kramer & Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Torsten Francke
Haftende Gesellschafterin: initOS Verwaltungs GmbH

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Rosengarten – Klecken
Amtsgericht Tostedt, HRA 201840
USt-IdNr: DE 275698169
Steuer-Nr: 15/205/21402