Re: account_constraints check date in fiscal year

Nhomar

It isn't a book that you need - its information from people that have practical experience of preparing accounts that meet relevant accounting standards!

You CANNOT assume that the date of a transaction or the date that is on a document is the date that is relevant to the transaction itself.

A couple of examples might suffice to illustrate this point.

*Payment for services consumed the previous year**
*
A good example is the billing of fees that are paid in arrears - such as those charged by an IP attorney for maintaining a watching brief on the client's behalf. The invoice for this is often received and dated well after the period to which it relates.

Certain commercial charges are adjusted for events that cannot be assessed until after the period they relate to (inflation adjustments, for example).

*Retentions*

When large scale projects/contracts are completed, the client often holds portions of the amounts until well after the contract is completed. This to ensure that the project is actually completed and that any problems are actually re-mediated.

Eventually these amounts are invoiced - they almost always related to prior periods ( how prior depends upon the terms of the contract). The relevant date to be applied to capital project related transactions is usually the date that the capital item was first used in the production of revenue. Two years is quite common.

*General*

Many academics lack real world experience. In the English speaking world, there is a huge difference between people with experience as auditors and those with experience as accountants. So even fully qualified CPAs and ACAs who have a professional audit background often lack actual accounting experience, although their knowledge of theory is second to none. I do nor disagree with the tenor of what they say, I just know that as soon as you construct a hard and fast rule about transaction date ranges, a transaction occurs that is valid and yet breaks the rule.

So, remember, look out for transactions which relate to prior or future periods and avoid setting up rules that make handling such transactions difficult.

To simplify this kind of transaction, I usually advise processing such amounts through 'clearance' or suspension accounts, in the same way that prepayments are handled.

I generally operate on a weekly accounting cycle, (its no good looking at a set of management accounts six weeks after an event has occurred, its too late to do anything about it) and many transactions are initiated by other organisations that account on a monthly or quarterly basis. For weekly accounts to be relevant, it is important that transactions which relate to a period that is longer than the current accounting period are correctly allocated to the actual periods to which they relate, ie were consumed in revenue related activities.

HTH

Robin St.Clair