Re: Joining openshot

Interesting.  I think the Gtk.Builder sounds like a good direction for the
future of the project, but it's going to completely derail us right now if
we attempt to switch.  We use libGlade extensively in OpenShot, and even
base our screen classes on a "SimpleGladeApp" base class.

Since the end result of libGlade and gtk.Builder is just a GTK window with
widgets, we should be able to make the same UI with both.  I'll add a
blueprint to LaunchPad about the gtk.Builder for a future version.

As far as the UI not integrating well into Ubuntu, that is true.  It
supports GTK themes, but none of our button images or the timeline graphics
match the theme.  GTK doesn't have generic button icons for most of the
buttons in OpenShot.  However, we did make OpenShot theme-able, and we could
make a more Ubuntu-friendly theme.  Just remember, in Oct 2009 this year,
Ubuntu is dumping their orange and brown interface.   Not sure what color
they are moving toward however.

Just to keep everything in perspective, I think OpenShot is already a much
better looking application than any of our competing apps in this category.
Only a few video editors are based in GTK, and they are ugly and blocky
looking.  Mainly due to their timeline being drawn by rectangles.

In my opinion, the features we need to have ASAP are:

1) transitions
2) filters
3) titling
4) key-framing
5) video export

And lastly, figure out how the heck to package this baby up so it works on
most Linux distributions.  That will probably be the hardest task of all.

Thanks!
-Jonathan