Re: github

On Jun 7, 2011, at 5:31 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:

> Like Eric said, in order to make sure we're not changing only for a
> vocal minority, the PPB needs to vote. We don't want to set a precedent
> for vocal proponents of the next cool thing to force us to change again
> in 6 months.

> ...snip...

> That's a separate subject (and one for the PPB as well): can an
> OpenStack core project choose its own code hosting ? Or should they all
> converge to a single platform ? I see John's point of letting devs use
> their tools of choice... but I also see that forces our developers to
> learn multiple tools if they want to work on "OpenStack" in general.
>
> Then what about issue management ? That's a user-facing tool, where
> uniformity between OpenStack core projects is even more desirable.
>
> Maybe that one should be added to the agenda for a future PPB session.

I really don't think the PPB should vote to allow a project to manage its code in a different was. That decision should be made by the project's respective devs and its PTL.

However, a core project should come to the PPB with a rough plan of what will be moved and how all affected parties will be addressed (packaging, testing, docs, devs, etc). The PPB should look at this plan from a "big-picture" perspective to ensure that appropriate concerns are addressed and all parties are accounted for. The PPB should look at this plan and respond with suggestions and advice--descriptive goals rather than prescriptive requirements.

Using swift as an example, the question is not "if" we move to git, but "when". My role as PTL is to ensure I have input from the devs. With that input, I need to coordinate with Thierry and ensure that his job is not made radically harder (perhaps LP can be made to mirror content from a git repo). I need to write down how issues and questions and auto-built docs will be handled. I need to ensure that tools are in place to appropriately manage code quality. With this plans written down (and, preferably, with the affected parties all in agreement), the document can be given to the PPB for review. The PPB will review it to ensure that Openstack goals are met and there isn't a glaring omission in the migration plan. Assuming all is well, the PPB responds with a "LGTM" and the project moves. At no point does the PPB approve or deny a move to a different dev tool.

--John