Re: I18n issue for OpenStack

Dear OpenStack friends,

It will be happy and great for our OpenStack community to see this open
project open to more market all over the world.
In China, OpenStack community is very active. I heard many Chinese
engineers talking about their wish to have a Chinese versioned openStack,
including documentation's, manuals, user interfaces, error messages, etc
in OpenStack meet-ups.
I have many European friends and also Danish friends, since I used to do
my university there. They all spoke perfect English, which made me admire,
cos they were linguists in my point of view. Oriental languages are
different. They are "too far" from the western lingual system. In China,
there are many talented engineers, who are not that kind of "linguists",
but they are lover of open source. I think it is amazing to open the
"door" to them. In China, it is very appreciated for software to be
localized as much as possible.
I used to google or baidu(a famous Chinese search engine) error messages
and logs in Chinese for other software, though it is not Apache. I found a
lot of useful references in Chinese, because it has been localized. If it
is not localized well first, of course it does not have the google or
yahoo ability to search.:-)
So far I am rather grateful for all the messages following this i18 issue.
Thank you so much.

Best wishes.
Vincent Hou (侯胜博)

Software Engineer, Standards Growth Team, Emerging Technology Institute,
IBM China Software Development Lab

Tel: 86-10-82450778 Fax: 86-10-82453660
Notes ID: Sheng Bo Hou/China/IBM@IBMCN    E-mail: sbhou@xxxxxxxxxx
Address:3F Ring, Building 28 Zhongguancun Software Park, 8 Dongbeiwang
West Road, Haidian District, Beijing, P.R.C.100193

Soren Hansen <soren@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: openstack-bounces+sbhou=cn.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2012-04-12 19:50

Hua ZZ Zhang/China/IBM@IBMCN
cc
openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Thierry Carrez <thierry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
openstack-bounces+zhuadl=cn.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [Openstack] I18n issue for OpenStack

Don't get me wrong.. I'd be happy to have the various openstack
clients offer localised error messages. I'd also encourage a
centralised effort to collect these translationns (so that all the
various language bindings will use the same localised error messages).

On the server, though, I believe we should stick to English and
perhaps have every error message include a link (e.g.
http://docs.openstack.doc/exception/NoNetworksDefinedException) to a
localised docs site. I think losing the ability to search the web for
error messages would be a major loss.

--
Soren Hansen             | http://linux2go.dk/
Senior Software Engineer | http://www.cisco.com/