Re: ANNOUNCE: Ultimate OpenStack Grizzly Guide, with super easy Quantum!

Quantum's metadata solution for Grizzly can run either with or without the
l3 agent.
When running within the l3 agent, packets directed to 169.254.169.254 are
sent to the default gateway; the l3 agent will spawn a metadata proxy for
each router; the metadata proxy forwards them to the metadata agent using a
datagram socket, and finally the agent reaches the Nova metadata server.

Without the l3 agent, the 'isolated' mode can be enabled for the metadata
access service. This is achieved by setting the flag
enable_isolated_metadata_proxy to True in the dhcp_agent configuration
file. When the isolated proxy is enabled, the dhcp agent will send an
additional static route to each VM. This static route will have the dhcp
agent as next hop and 169.254.0.0/16 as destination CIDR; the dhcp agent
will spawn a metadata proxy for each network. Once the packet reaches the
proxy, the procedure works as above. This should also explain why the
metadata agent does not depend on the l3 agent.

If you are deploying the l3 agent, but do not want to deploy the metadata
agent on the same host, the 'metadata access network' can be considered.
This option is enabled by setting enable_metadata_network on the dhcp agent
configuration file. When enabled, quantum networks whose cidr is included
in 169.254.0.0/16 will be regarded as 'metadata networks', and will spawn a
metadata proxy. The user can then connect such network to any logical
router through the quantum API; thus granting metadata access to all the
networks connected to such router.

I think the documentation for quantum metadata has not yet been merged in
the admin guide.
I hope this clarifies the matter a little... although this thread has gone
a little bit off-topic. Can you consider submitting one or more questions
to ask.openstack.org?

Regards,
Salvatore