p2psp team mailing list archive

Re: NAT Traversal Set of rules implementation

Hi Vicente,

just a quick status update: This week I implemented generating, sending
and receiving peer IDs to the NTS classes (diff: [1]).
The next step will be sending the keepalive packets in a timer and
keeping a list of currently connecting peers.

This weekend I will pause development, as I have exams tomorrow and on
Monday.
From monday on I will continue work, with more time per week as classes
have finished today.

On 13.07.2015 15:46, Max Mertens wrote:
> On 13.07.2015 13:22, Vicente Gonzalez wrote:
>> The minimization of the protocol overhead is essential, so, if we can
>> live without extra fields in the headers, perfect. However, it is
>> quite likely that at the end, when the complexity of the protocol
>> grows, we will use this technique. So, if you see the thing more
>> clear using message type prefixes, go ahead.
> Ok, thanks for the explanation. Currently the different message types
> are overseeable, so I'll stick to the current solution.
It appears more and more that some message typing (just a 1 byte prefix,
maybe later 2 bytes) would help in differentiating the packets. IIRC,
currently the biggest packet size is 1026 bytes, so adding 1-2 bytes
would not exceed the MTU of ~1500 bytes. Maybe this is something to
implement towards the end of the project this summer. What do you think?

Thanks and have a nice weekend,
Max

[1] https://github.com/P2PSP/p2psp/compare/f7ab7d0...a4f1592