phatch-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Poloraid action list added to library

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Robin Mills<robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This sounds awesome and I'll look at it after work.
> I was going to model the "montage maker"  (maybe it should be called a
> collage maker) after Picasa's.
Nadia and I had already an idea for a collage action. The input would
be a folder of images.  The action would convert an image (black
silhouets would work the best) to a black and white drawing or it
would use its alpha mask. Than where is black you would randomly put
the images of the folder. The workflow with the current Phatch would
be:
1) generate a folder of images, with the effects you like
2) run a collage action which takes the folder as input (not yet
existing Folderfield)

For step 2 it might be handy to provide in the execute dialog instead
of Files and Folder also n empty images.

If you would use a simple black rectangle it would do the effect you
described. However you can make also collages with other weird shapes,
like text or animal sihouets. You can even go a step further, not
working with black and white silhouets, but work with colors and look
which images compares the best. This would give a collage photo
mosaic.

Maybe Phatch should have a meta mode, where you can easily batch
action lists in a sequential order, so that two steps can be done in
one step from the GUI.

> Picassa offers fixed width, unbordered and
> polaroid effect.
These effects and much more are now in Phatch.

> So the collage maker only needs to know layout the collage as random or
> grid.  Phatch is very flexible - other actions can handler borders and so
> on.
I think in the layout part we have to be creative to give Phatch a
feature others don't have. So we can talk about:
- the relative layout (as Picasa does, random, grid, ...)
- the absolute layout (evoke contours, coloured images as mosaic, ...)

> Goodness, we could even have an FTP action to post the output files.
Yes we need to develop this idea further!

>  (shhhssss Robin - you're volunteering for too much work again).
Well it would allow you to make a beautiful surprise for your wife. (I
assume she is not reading mailing lists ;-)) For example you could
take photos of your whole live together and than write some text with
it or make a big heart.

Go for it!

Stani