pyexiv2-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Next release of pyexiv2

Hi Olivier,

On 2010-12-03, Ponchaut Olivier <videoporama@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
> The actual videoporama source code is compliant with both version 0.1.3
> and 0.2.x of pyexiv2. I check this because It wasn't my code, so as it
> was working fine, I didn't look at it.

Yes, I had had a quick look at this already, and it seemed that it
should work fine with both APIs. But it’s not in an official release
yet. Has the functionality been tested with pyexiv2 0.2.x to make sure
it runs equally well as it did with 0.1.x ?

> The author of this part was aware of the two differents versions  and
> syntax, so he made some check to choose the good syntax in function of
> available pyexiv2 version.
>
> Here's the portion of code :
>
>     # Obtain the exif data
>     def LoadEXIF(self) :
>
> #----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>       # There's two different versions of pyexiv2 with different syntaxe !
>
> #----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>       EXIF_Orientation=-1
>       try:
>         exif = pyexiv2.ImageMetadata(unicode(self.urlim))
>       except :
>         try:
>           exif = pyexiv2.Image(unicode(self.urlim))
>         except:
>           return
>
>       try:
>         exif.read()
>       except :
>         try:
>           exif.readMetadata()
>         except:
>           return
>
>       # Image rotation (EXIF)
>       try:
>         EXIF_Orientation=exif['Exif.Image.Orientation']
>         try:    EXIF_Orientation=exif['Exif.Image.Orientation'].value
>         except: None
>       except:
>         EXIF_Orientation=1

> I guess it could be simpler to find the pyexiv2 version instead of try
> ... except but it works.

Yes, that could be cleaned up to be made more readable and maintainable
(see for example Damon’s code at
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~dlynch3/rapid/trunk/annotate/head:/rapid/metadata.py),
but essentially it works.

> So I just have to publish the next release of Videoporama before next
> Ubuntu.

That would be awesome. Alternatively, if releasing the new version
doesn’t fit your schedule, we could still patch the ubuntu package for
the current version with the revision that adds support for pyexiv2 0.2.

Cheers,

Olivier