pyexiv2-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Installation of last revision.

Hi Vincent,

Vincent Vande Vyvre a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've installed the last revision of pyexiv2, following the README
> instruction.
>
> Now, if I install the .deb package of my application (Oqapy), Gedebi
> don't see
> pyexiv2 and request his installation.
>
> And my fresh installation of pyexiv2 is replaced by the version from
> official
> packages.
>
> In my .deb, the depends line contain just 'python-pyexiv2' without version.
>
> Is there solutions to solve that ? Why Gedebi don't see pyexiv2 ?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Vincent V.V.
> Oqapy <https://launchpad.net/oqapy>

This is expected, pyexiv2’s build system doesn’t integrate with apt’s
dependency resolution, therefore gdebi doesn’t see it even though it is
installed on your system.

You need to install pyexiv2 from a deb package. There is one such
package in pyexiv2-developers’ PPA at
https://launchpad.net/~pyexiv2-developers/+archive/ppa (version 0.2.2
for Ubuntu Lucid and Maverick).

Alternatively (if for example you need a more recent, unreleased version
of pyexiv2), you can probably force dpkg to install your package:

 - make sure python-pyexiv2 is *not* installed:
      sudo apt-get remove python-pyexiv2
 - install it from source following instructions at
      http://tilloy.net/dev/pyexiv2/developers.html#linux
 - install your package with dpkg:
      sudo dpkg --force-all oqapy_[version].deb

This should bypass all dependency checks and install your package. You
should make sure that all other dependencies are already installed
before doing this. Note that this is an advanced usage of dpkg and
should not be recommended to normal users of your package.

pyexiv2 0.3 should be released very soon, and I will publish packages in
the PPA at the same time.

I hope this helps,

Olivier