quickly-talk team mailing list archive

Re: Running quickly applications outside ubuntu

Hi Rick
 I suppose we are looking at the same solution from different
perspectives. I think we all see gtk-application template as a
solution but we don't want the "fork" with bug fixes in one template
being likely. commandsconfig can import commands from another template
I was suggesting that we also have copy & patch project code (from
gtk-application to ubuntu-application but direction is not very
important). Michael's take on this was to put common project code into
a library. I see this used best as copy e.g.
ubuntu-application/create copies preferences-couchdb to preferences
and gtk-application/create copies preferences-xml to preferences.
Importing instead means that the library code has to perfectly match
the user's requirement, they get the complexity of subclassing, or the
library has complex __init__ arguments.

"
        try:
            import LaunchpadIntegration
            LaunchpadIntegration.add_items(self.ui.helpMenu, 1, False, True)
            LaunchpadIntegration.set_sourcepackagename('test-project')
        except:
            pass
"

This code block looks like this ubuntu-only import was always intended
to be optional but a probable bug in python-distutils-extra makes this
a depends instead of recommends. So a bug fix will help here. Perhaps
we could do this for all ubuntu-only imports.
 The disadvantage is user's project gets bigger but it becomes
write-once, run everywhere (better on ubuntu of course). The user can
still choose, by editing the try/except block, instead of accepting
the quickly defaults.