randgen team mailing list archive

MariaDB patches (was: RQG merge/push policy)

Hi RQG people,

I've reshuffled my stack of changes and created a new branch:
https://code.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches

There are 30+ revisions, most of the changes are small and/or independent of the rest of the code. There are however several that might affect you, so please take a look at those.

I'll list everything here with a short note for each, because if you take them all I'll just merge the whole branch, if you reject any I'll be cherry-picking.

Also FYI, all changes go with the corresponding addition to the license, I was told that's how it is supposed to be done. If you disagree, please let me know, we'll figure it out. IANAL.

I'll wait a couple of days, and unless somebody screams, I'll do the merge.

Here it goes, in order of appearance.

851: In MariaDB 5.5 sync-sys was renamed to debug-no-sync
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/851

Can't affect anybody, just MariaDB combinations file update

852: Always populate RQG_HOME
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/852

In combinations.pl, sets RQG_HOME to the script's home unless it was defined in the environment. Should not affect anybody unless you somehow depend on it being empty.

853: Let combinations work on Windows
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/853

Changes to combinations.pl to let it work on Windows. Should not affect anybody unless you depend on it croaking on Windows.

854: Get rid of the error dialog on Windows unless running in debug mode
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/854

ATTENTION: A change to runall.pl can affect you if you run tests on Windows without --debug option and expect the Windows dialog screen to popup and stop further execution when MySQL server crashes. Please scream.

855: Windows PIDs can be negative, it causes syntax errors
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/855

A lot of files changed, the change is $$ => abs($$). $$ is used in grammars and in the code, sometimes in a situation where a negative value would cause an error.
Can affect you if you on whatever reason need the negative values there.

856: Print PID in test output
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/856

ATTENTION: can affect you if you have a log parser which does not expect PID in the test logs. Please scream.

857: Validator for SHOW EXPLAIN feature introduced in MariaDB 10.0
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/857

Just a new file

858: Light version of Transformer.pm, no simplification
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/858

Just a new file and a reference to it in GenTest.pm

859: New transformer and related changes for LIMIT ROWS EXAMINED feature
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/859

A new transformer and relevant logic in Transform.pm should not affect anybody (unless there are bugs), but be aware that a couple of new constants were also added to Constants.pm and Transform.pm

860: Allow runall-new.pl to accept lists of row counts and skip-data option
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/860

Allow rows=1,100,1000 and skip-gendata in runall-new.pl. Should not affect anybody

861: Comparing results of ANALYZE is not useful and can produce
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/861

ATTENTION: This might affect you if you expect ANALYZE output to be processed by ResultsetComparator. Please scream.

862: Allow more than one redefining grammar
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/862

Allow multiple --redefine options in runall.pl, runall-new.pl and gentest.pl. Should not affect anybody unless there are bugs.

863: Store slave vardir created in the 'new' mode (with '_slave' suffix)
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/863

combinations.pl didn't store the slave vardir in the 'new' mode in case of failure. Might affect anyone who is using --new mode and has failures, but I don't suppose anybody actually wants their slave folder to be removed.

864: RQG couldn't handle more than one extra option for valgrind
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/864

Bug: RQG running via MTR could only process one additional valgrind option. Might affect you if you have multiple valgrind options in your config and they didn't work, but now will suddenly start and change the result.

865: Add skip-shutdown option to runall-new.pl: do not shutdown servers
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/865

A new option skip-shutdown to override stopServers which is done in runall-new.pl by default. Should not affect anybody.

866: CheckFieldValue validator: check that the value of the given field
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/866

Just a new file

867: dumpdb produced a usage error, which was written into the dump file
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/867

ATTENTION: can affect anyone who uses runall-new.pl to run comparison tests!
The script attempted to compare dumps from the servers after the test, and used dumpdb for that. The subroutine didn't work properly, it was writing usage errors instead of actual dumps, so the comparison would always pass. If it was a false-negative in your test, now you might start getting failures.

868: Simple service reporter which crashes the server in the middle
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/868

Just a new file

869: When server is started dirty after a crash, the pid file exists,
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/869

Remove old pid file before starting MySQL server. I doubt it can affect anybody, but check it just in case.

870: In MariaDB 10.0 system_tables script is split into two
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/870

A technical modification to comply with MariaDB init script structure. MariaDB has an extra script, so it's added to the list, and script search is wrapped into eval to prevent failures on other branches/versions. Can affect you if you expect init scripts not always exist, and expect the test to fail when a script is missing, but it sounds unlikely.

871: Somewhat better diagnostics of script startup issues
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/871

A few additional error messages on wrong runall-new.pl usage. Should not affect anybody.

872: Allow different types of views for servers that are being compared
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/872

Allow --views1=... --views2=... in 2-side comparison tests. The backward compatibility is preserved, so it shouldn't affect anybody unless there are bugs (you might want to review).

873: Add new keywords _basetable and _view to grammar syntax
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/873

Add _basetable and _view (just like there is _table which might be both a table and a view). There should be no difference in current behavior, unless there are bugs (you might want to review).

874: Minimize the number of non-default startup options
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/874

ATTENTION: This might affect anybody who uses native server startup (runall-new.pl). The patch removes hardcoded non-default options, all but max-allowed-packet (which is increased from 16 to 128 MB). I think it's better to run test by default on configuration as close to default as possible, and change options in test configs when necessary. But if you disagree, please scream.

875: Add setStartDirty subroutine
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/875

Can't affect anybody, just a new subroutine.

876: A reporter similar to Recovery.pm, but restarting the server in the same
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/876

A new file and a related small change to runall-new.pl. Should not affect anybody.

877: There is no need to override the previous error log -
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/877

Instead of creating a new error log on server startup, concatenate with an exiting one (if any). I can't imagine a case when it can be wrong, but please scream if disagree.

878: A new reporter to check that binary logs correctly reflect the server data
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/878

Just a new file

879: Reporter for checking the crash safety of GTID replication (MariaDB kind)
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/879

Just a new file

880: General slave crash recovery reporter: crashes the slave server every
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/880

Just a new file

881: GaleraMySQLd.pm - a module to start Galera cluster;
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/881

A few new files, a new option to runall-new.pl and related technical changes. The only part that might affect existing logic is that now Shutdown.pm instead of shutting down servers on ports $port, $port+2, $port+4 attempts to shutdown the whole range $port..$port+9, assuming that they all belong to the current test. If disagree, please scream.

882: Simplify file search by providing name variations
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~elenst/randgen/mariadb-patches/revision/882

Use an array of names instead of a single name in _find. Should not affect anybody.

Regards,
/E