software-store-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: bug 716435 - suggested solution

Matthew McGowan wrote on 01/03/11 09:12:

> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Aaron Peachey <alpeachey@xxxxxxxxx
>> Upon opening USC we currently "have X recommendations for you". I
>> think we should have something similar here like "You recently
>> installed X applications and haven't reviewed them yet. Click here
>> to help out others by giving your opinion"
>> Clicking could then take you to the history of installed apps where
>> the user can invoke a review on any app they have installed (or
>> removed I guess)
>> We would only bother them with this lobby screen prompt for apps
>> that have been installed over a week or so ago (to give them time to
>> try it before reviewing)

Maybe it should ask you to review something that you've had installed
for at least a week, *and* that you've used recently.

>> This should be pretty easy to implement too.
> You raise good points and i like the proposal.
>
> I just wonder, if i am the user and i am being asked to review, say, a
> list of 10 apps i have removed and/or installed, how would we present
> the review dialog in a way which wouldn't be too burdensome to step
> through for each app?  This could easily become a chore and put people
> off reviewing the apps.

That's easily solved: don't mention ten applications, just suggest
reviewing one particular application. Then the next time USC launches,
suggest a review of one other particular application.

"You ran Darwinia last Thursday. Would you like to _review it_?"

> Moreover, if i couldnt be bothered reviewing the apps, I would prob get
> annoyed after a while if i couldnt dismiss the lobby message.  In this
> context people could perceive it as a nag.

Maybe. Or maybe the interface for turning review suggestions back on
would be even more of a distraction. It would depend where it is.

> Perhaps you would want to back the lobby message up with
> non-intrusive/subtle button in the applist which brings up the review
> dialog.

Absolutely.

- --
mpt