Re: sony_laptop

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Stefan Meisner Larsen
<stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK, current status for me is, that NVidia drivers 195.36.15 works for me.

Hm, not for me apparently -- it seems to fail in a rather obvious way,
ignoring my BusID and picking the Intel card as its preferred device
then failing with no devices found, even though nvidia-xconfig found
the card OK.  Are you using the default configuration, or a specific
config file?

Also, did you manage to get the Intel driver running at the correct
resolution, or have you not tried that?  I am still a bit puzzled
about that, because the implication of Peter's observations about
having to use Windows to retrieve the EDID for the nVidia driver
(which I have done, but haven't managed to put to any successful use
yet) seems to be that the Intel Linux driver cannot retrieve the
display EDID either -- which would imply that there is no possibility
of success using the KMS-based Intel drivers as you cannot prod them
with the correct EDID data.  That can't be true, but I can't square
the logic of it.

So far I'm experiencing surprisingly abject failure in every
direction.  I wish someone could have warned me 15 years ago that in
2010 I would still be piddling about with X config files.  I might
have given up and gone off to do something useful like farming turnips
instead.

Chris