Re: Is this a worthy contender to the high-priced Vaio Zs?

wow this list is off topic. thats ok tho, interesting how popular its
become.

there is a much more comparable machine to the  earlier z. the LG P310. and
it just so happens to not have an optical drive.a rather nice machine in its
day, age and place as it was never available in the US except by import.
it weighs about 3.5 pounds, and has a 9600gt which is of course much better
than the 9300, but worse than the 330gt.

 one shouldnt get a vaio for general computing. they are overpriced, and the
z is their only line with actual value simply because its the most unique.
their other laptops arent really any better.
you know what brand is looking good lately is asus. they make great and
affordable computers, some of them are adopting the sony/mac keyboard style.

- the 1366x768 resolution models also have less graphics memory (128mb vs
256) but ive read that the 128mb version is faster. it would make sense with
the memory bandwidth, regardless of the resolution.
- the screens are compatible with either video controller, even though they
were never manufactured that way. before i sold my z (actually after lol)
the motherboard failed, and i replaced it with a motherboard of lesser
graphics memory. it takes a second, but the 1600x900 screen will in fact
work. so an upgrade isnt impossible.