Re: sony-laptop (z11 2010) - intel gpu working

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Sebastian Daehne <daehne@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> To disable the nvidia gpu, you can try the small modification to the
>> sony-laptop module i've posted in the other thread (change OVGA by GFX0).
>> It seems to disable the gpu fine, just doesn't re-enable properly, but
>> at least heat and power consumption should be better.
>> The module also tries to re-enable the intel gpu at wake up. I haven't
>> tested if it works.
>> Til either I figure out (probably aka find time for reading and learning
>> ACPI deeper), or someone else with more knowledge does it.
>
> I just tried this module and applied the patch (=~s/OVGA/GFX0/) as well,
>  but
> this only made the speed and stamina led working. Lspci still lists both
> cards
> and after pm-suspend my display stays black even with the module loaded :(

Worth double-checking with the power consumption as well?  (with e.g.
powertop or cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state)

(I haven't tried that last patch yet, I was just thinking I should.)

Dave Airlie's vga-switcheroo updates (some combination of patches from
http://people.freedesktop.org/~airlied/vgaswitcheroo/ against drm-next
kernel) had for me also reached a point where the nVidia driver was
claiming to switch off the card but not actually doing so.  I don't
know whether anything has happened on that side since the last update
there; I've been using the "boot with old kernel" trick instead.

Chris