Re: Issues installing 0.9np8pre3 module

Hi Norbert and Leonardo,

I think that Leonardo is talking about these regressions: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_31_power_regress&num=1 <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_31_power_regress&num=1>

Don't know how reliable the phronoix tests are, but they do show that something is wrong. I can also see on my VPCZ2 that it draws much more power in idle than windows does. Four hours of battery time in linux, 7 to 8 hours in windows.

/Nicklas
On 2011-09-07 01:01, Norbert Preining wrote:
Hi Leonardo,

On Di, 06 Sep 2011, Leonardo Rodriguez wrote:
With 2.6.35 kernel and NVIDIA I can see power usage in powertop. It is
usually around 25Wh at idle, varying between 20-30Wh. On occasion it
drops to 17Wh.
Well, that is a lot.

Are you sure that lspci | grep VGA showing both cards is not an issue?
No, I am not, but I see both cards here and I am going down to 10
when idle.

 From the research I have done it seems like the excessive power
consumption is related to kernel power management issues, which have
only become worse in recent kernels. I guess I was expecting the sony
??? I would say rubbish. I am following kernel development very closely
with building git kernels quite often, and I have never seen this
behaviour.

module to somehow enable power management features not
recognized/enabled by the kernel out of the box, but this doesn't seem
All the power management features are enabled already *without* the
sony-laptopt module *BUT*:
- turning off nvidia car (did you pass the right module parameters?)
- creating rfkill switches for bluetooth wlan etc
- adding additional sys file switches for the ODD and other

I know I can "echo " parameters, but how do I set the module parameters
at boot time? Do you just create an entry under /etc/modprobe.d and set
the options there? What about the module loading order, etc?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=linux+module+parameter+boot+time+debian&l=1
???
(is it sooooo hard????)

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan                                 TeX Live&  Debian Developer