I actually though windows did the same when you set it "power save mode" - but maybe i'm wrong.

So maybe I should limit it in way that it does not throttle all the way up to 2.8 Ghz but just, let's say, 1.7 or whatever the intermediate steps are?

/Nicklas

On 2011-11-07 21:53, Simon Brown wrote:
At Mon, 07 Nov 2011 21:09:00 +0200,
Nicklas Overgaard wrote:
[1<multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
[1.1<text/plain; UTF-8 (7bit)>]
Hey Nicolas,

I bought the 7 hours of battery life for windows by:

1. Setting the power plan to "power saver"
2. Dimming the panel to almost the lowest level

On linux:

1. Running kernel 3.1
2. Patching it with the "vaio full 3.0" patch - i believe it's part of
the sony laptop module as well
3. Installing laptop mode tools and assuring that my CPU never goes
higher than 800 mhz when on battery
Throttling the CPU is a bad idea. You want the CPU to be idle for as
long as possible so it can enter sleep states, disable cores and the
like. Throttling the clock rate just makes work take longer and should
cost you battery life for the same workload.

Simon