tomdroid-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Looking for a driver for the next few releases / months

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Olivier Bilodeau
<olivier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm glad to see interest! :)
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Rodja Trappe <mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>      * publishing Tomdroid on the Android Market (each release, and a
>>        separate dev-preview build for testing)
>
> The market is a harsh place: we'll get 1 star ratings because it can't edit
> notes, we'll have a lot of things reported that we all know we want solved.

That makes sense.

> At first, I wanted to attract contributors not testers / users so I didn't
> do a market release. I'm interested by the feedback of people who can say
> something else than 'force closes'.

Fair point, but in the past year or so most people who have asked me
about Tomdroid have not bothered to look once they saw it wasn't in
the market.  One of the best sources for contributors is your user
base!  Passionate users grow into passionate contributors.

At the very least, there should be a QR code on Tomdroid's front page,
making it easy for users to install the apk (unless their
phone/carrier forbids it, or they don't know how to set up the barcode
scanner and settings).

> I want market releases when we will have a certain quality / feature set.

That's fine, if those are very well-specified and there is a clear
path for achieving them.  Is that the case?

I would recommend against making editing support one of those goals.
That's a really high bar.  Just having read access to notes is a huge
win.

By the way, we may be implementing server-side markdown support in
Snowy.  We're not sure yet if client-side or server-side or both makes
the most sense.  But we'll keep you guys informed after the Snowy
Hackfest next month.

Sandy