Re: Introduction

On 05/26/2014 06:46 PM, Gustavo Silva wrote:
Hi everyone.

Hello Gustavo,

First of all, I'd like to thank you a lot for answering my call of help on Google+ and for joining ToriOS. It is always great to have more volunteers from different part of the world. That is the most fun part of any FOSS project :)

I was reading ToriOS launchpad page and I found out what I should do since I'm the youngest team member and it includes sending an email to this mailing list in order to introduce myself.

I do like this kind of quality of people who do actually read instead of keep asking Qs and I'm getting very interested to work with you and so glad to have you within our team :D

Well, I'm Gustavo, reaching you from Portugal and I'm a Ubuntu user.

Welcome to our team and it is great to have someone from Portugal. This means almost most of us are close when it comes to time zone. I guess Israel and William are living on different time zones (- something GMT) but that is normal with any FOSS project. We surely don't have to live at the same house :P

I joined ToriOS because I think Ali's plans are good and helpful for the development of Ubuntu's community.

Appreciate that :)

I believe there's too many Ubuntu distributions and perhaps this project can solve the problem by simple decreasing the number via mergers and gathering forces and other groups.

Yes, that is my dream and plan. However, we must show ToriOS to the world and then start the merging phase :D

Other then that, I'm not a developer. I'm a business person. Studied management in my BA and now I'm finishing a master's degree in Industrial and Firms Economics. That's important to tell what I can be useful:
- Strategy (Marketing and Communications, Ops development and planning);
- Translations (I used to translate for the Portuguese group a long time ago);
- Documentation

Very interesting :D

I'm gsilva on freenode and I'm usually online 24/7 since I use a ZNC. Feel free to email me, contact me via G+, IRC or Launchpad to ask any questions.

Here is a list of our official channels:
http://torios.org/contact.html

I'm not an IRC Type (I'm sure all my FOSS friends know this already) so don't hold your hopes high to see me on IRC unless there is something important or I have some free time which is impossible these days.

Here is my contacts:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad#Contacts

Hopefully I'll bring important thoughts and ideas for this project.

I'm sure you will :)

By the way, if you're planning to contribute to this project for the long run, then we could offer you - of course - free @torios.org email so that you be 100% official member :D let me know if you're interested ;)

Best,
Gustavo

Thank you and welcome :)

By the way, I have noticed that you joined Ubuntu GNOME too (another project that I'm leading - except I'm not the founder - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad/UbuntuGNOME-Team ).

An advise from someone who have done A LOT to the FOSS world specially Ubuntu world. I don't want to kill your interest at all but don't overdo it or else, you will end up like me, a burned out man who seems to be enjoying that :P hehe. Okay, kidding aside, the reason why I became slow and less active on all my projects is because I'm trying to take care of myself more. I used to spend days online and I mean days. Ask about me :D but recently, my health is getting really down so I must slow down. Projects are my passion. If I find 30mins free time, I start new project. This is fun but not good for health. I don't want you to spread yourself wide across many projects. I'd suggest to check which project you feel more comfortable with and focus your activities within that one. Both ToriOS and Ubuntu and also StartUbuntu are projects where I take the lead but each has different vision and targets. You're the only one who can decide which one of these will suit you more :D

Good luck with your study and it is great to have you here :D

--
Ali/amjjawad
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad