Re: The Technical Side of ToriOS

Hi Ali,
See inline replies
Best regards/Nio

2014-05-27 12:50, Ali Linx skrev:

> On 05/22/2014 08:56 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> 1. It will fit into the current OBI-9w installer. I could strip down the
>> 9w packages if necessary to keep the OBI-9w installer within CD size.
>
> How much the installer usually takes?

Right now the OBI-9w 222 MB (10 base), 211 Mibibytes (2 base alias 1024
base). But it contains a lot of utilities and software, that are not
necessary, for example a web browser and several small tools, that can
be peeled off, if necessary to keep it within CD size with a fairly
large tarball. Say that the tarball can be 500 MB. Then the total size
will be 722 MB (10 base), 688 Mibibytes (2 base)

According to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM

a '700 MB CD disk' can store 737.280 MB (10 base), 703.125 Mibibytes (2
base).

So without doing anything with the OBI-9w itself, the limit for the
tarball is 515 MB (10 base), 491 Mibibytes (2 base). I don't know if
some storage space is lost due to overhead data.

The tarball can be a bit smaller than the corresponding iso file,
depending on the amount of data, that are specific for the live session
and on the compression method.

>> 2. You might consider meta-packages for different user profiles, and
>> offer installing one of them after installation. It should make it easy
>> to stay with a CD size iso file whichever installer is used.
>
> Could you please explain more or provide an example? I'm not sure I
> understood this one ...

lubuntu-core and lubuntu-desktop are meta packages, that make it easy to
install a group of packages with one command.

It is possible to use meta-packages or just a command line or script
file to install groups of packages for different user profiles, for example

multimedia, office, gaming
ultra-light, medium-light
desktop, laptop, netbook

The advantage is that the installer will be flexible, the disadvantage
is that it will need internet and downloading to make each installation
complete.

>> 3. Are you considering a text installer (like the Lubuntu alternate
>> installer) or a graphical installer (like the Ubuntu family desktop
>> installer)?
>
> Very good Q ...
>
> I'd say YES for text-based but I'm worried about those who are not
> familiar with it. YES, ToriOS is not for everyone and it is basically
> not for those super new to GNU/Linux but as long as it is targeting the
> low machines, I don't want to give hard time for any user. If we could
> make a solid and strong documents/wiki to explain how to install ToriOS
> with a text-base installer, then I have no worries in this regard.

A text-based installer can be easy to understand. It depends more on the
layout than on fancy graphical effects.

> Technically, it would be super bad idea if a suer for example wishes to
> dual-boot ToriOS with Windows XP or whatever. However, I dislike to
> assume. I mean, we should be ready for any possible scenario if you know
> what I mean.

I guess we must be able to offer dual boot, and we are ... even if we
think it is a bad idea with very old computers.

> Can the text-based installer handle the dual-boot system the same easy
> way the GUI installer does?

Well, I think gparted is by far the most user friendly partitioning
tool. And it needs a graphical desktop environment. And it is included
in the 9w Debian+LXDE based desktop, that is idling at 37 MB RAM and can
install without any problems in a computer with 128 MB RAM.

> If we shall provide 64-bit, then definitely no need for text-based
> installer here.

No need, but might work as well.

>>> 11- Where are we going to host the ISOs? do we have a host for that?