Re: The Technical Side of ToriOS

2014-06-03 01:56, Israel skrev:
> On 05/30/2014 02:31 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> There are two iso files at my google drive ToriOS folder
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B46yhFQuJvfPZzZ6aThReldScWs&usp=sharing
>>
>> (should be one line, but is split by the email program)
>>
>> with the following md5sums
>>
>> eb8ef992fe485828934a447bf815009b  obi_ToriOS-a1-9w.iso
>> e1a11686c825bc2e046a1852e763a9ef  ToriOS-i386-20140530.iso
>>
>> and sizes and dates
>>
>> 498M	2014-05-30	11:27	ToriOS-i386-20140530.iso
>> 554M	2014-05-30	19:06	obi_ToriOS-a1-9w.iso
>>
>> ToriOS-i386-20140530.iso was created by Jörn's scripts and
>> obi_ToriOS-a1-9w.iso was created by my OBI-9w scripts from an installed
>> instance (created from ToriOS-i386-20140530.iso). I made them into
>> hybrid iso files, that work in CD and DVD but also as cloned into USB
>> drives.
>>
>> The OBI-9w iso comes with an installed system
>>
>> login user: guru
>> password: changeme
>>
>> This can be changed with the OEM install option later on, so that the
>> end user can select user name and password 'as usual'.
>>
>> So now we can easily test and compare the installers. Both installers
>> work with a lot of RAM and powerful processors, but I suggest that you
>> test by limiting RAM either in a virtual machine or in an old computer.
>> You can easily limit the available RAM with the boot option mem=xxxM
>> instead of messing with the memory cards.
>>
>> This is a very early alpha version (or even pre-alpha version of
>> ToriOS). It has no cosmetics at all, but can give us a feeling of how
>> fast it can be and how well in can cope with different hardware. So you
>> can take part in the decisions about the basic concepts of ToriOS. For
>> example: It is based on 14.04 LTS. We use the JWM window manager and
>> Rox. You can run application programs from xterm.
>>
>> xterm -fa default -fs 13
>>
>> will give you a large and nice font (much easier to read than the
>> default xterm in a high resolution window).
>>
>> Happy testing :-D
>>
>> Nio
>>
> Hi Nio!!
> I finally had a chance to test the obi_ToriOS-a1-9w image in virtual box.
> The first problem I notice is the lack of the package 'menu' being
> installed.
> This is the first 'major' issue.
> The second is, that I disabled PAE in the Virtual Box settings, and I
> couldn't boot into ToriOS.  Once I enabled it, I was able to boot.
> I have to get my internet working inside it to test more, but I don't
> have anymore time quite yet.
>
> I will make a second image of the regular installer.  I like the Live
> Mode!!  It will be really nice to use the full ToriOS setup in that
> livemode eventually!
> Your work is superb!!

Hi Israel and Jörn,

I'm glad you tried it, Israel :-)

The main credit is due to Jörn. He set up ToriOS and the only things I
did was to

1. use his scripts (which worked out of the box for me) and make an iso
file.

2. make it a hybrid iso file (so easily used from a USB drive too).

3. install it

4. make a tarball of the installed system

5. make an OBI-9w installer iso file.

-o-

I think we can and should continue now to discuss what to include in
ToriOS. The present version is very basic.

1. You are right Israel, the menu should be improved (including the
application programs). Or there should be some menu to install the final
system, whichever is preferred.

"The first problem I notice is the lack of the package 'menu' being
installed."

Maybe you think of the menu in the OBI-9w system of Ubuntu minimal text
only system that comes with

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/9w/obi_Trusty-npae124-txt4-9w.iso

as described in

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/9w

That installer is independent of ToriOS, but the same idea can be
applied (to ToriOS).

2. There is only a pae kernel now. Jörn wrote that it is easy to change
to a non-pae kernel. I am not so sure that it is easy, since Phill has
failed to make an alternate style installer work with it in his non-pae
project. It works in my workaround with the OBI-9w installer, but that
system offers no live session of the final system (but the 9w itself
runs 'live').

Let us hope you, Jörn, can make your ToriOS installer work with a
non-pae kernel.