Re: Persistent USB image

Hi Nio,
 I was wondering if it would be possible to do something along these lines.
Could we make a 'persistent' option for OBI that adds a partition and
links it to the /home folder somehow?

I meant solving it with Ubiquity as casper makes it possible (easy) to
make a casper-rw portion of the disk.  You think I can simply use the
same methods and apply it to mkusb installer?
Do you think we could write the image to the usb, and then repartition
and add a read-write fat partition?
I think I will also need to add the needed files to let the ubuntu usb
creator to recognize the image and be able to copy it to a USB, for
people that want to do that... it is a few extra files, but nothing major.

I'd still like to investigate whether or not we can use the squashfs to
make the installed system from OBI (or a modified OBI, rather).  I'd
really like the option for installing /home as a separate partition, or
retaining a separate /home partition, as this is something I use
frequently... it might even be wise to (eventually) use this by default
if we can figure it out reasonably easily.

If Ubiquity can install from the disk, I suppose we could in a sense
make a simple GUI that controls the chroot environment.  we could build
a chroot on the computer's harddrive right?

i.e. mount /dev/sda1 (or whatever) as /mnt (or whatever)
and make that (/mnt or whatever) the chroot directory... and simply
install the base system there from a script.

We could include all the /var/apt/cache/* used in the initial chroot
(don't delete them when we build the ISO initially) and copy them over
to the chroot's /var/apt/cache and then allow the user to link a
separate partition /dev/sda5 (or whatever) as /home  this adds about
100-200 or so MB

What do you think about this idea?
I think we could fit a lot more stuff in the image this way, like
virtually every language possible, and some of the extras people might
want (excluding the restricted things like flash) such as pcmanfm so the
user doesn't need to have internet to update their system.  we could
include the regular general audio formats so the user simply needs to
click something to say 'yes I want mp3' etc..

Just kinda throwing ideas at you (as I often do).

let me know what your thoughts are on this.  We could make a very simple
zenity form that asks a few things like username, language, timezone,
etc.. or offers a 'default' for a one button install.  And then has a
progress dialog that shows the progress of the script running, maybe use
the html thing to show the release notes, or include the information
about installing extra codecs, etc...