Re: ToriOS-alpha-rc2.iso testing

On 01/07/2015 11:50 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2015-01-07 18:46, Smile4ever skrev:

>> Hi Nio
>>
>> What about this? I think this is more beginner friendly:
>> "Please make a backup of important files before installing this operating system, because the device will be formatted and completely overwritten"
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Geoffrey De Belie / Smile4ever
>>

> Hi Smile,
>
> Thanks for the feed-back :-)
>
> I have high-lighted your mail and will think about it for the next
> version of mkusb and the OBI.
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Hi Nio,
Something else I have thought of (let me know how hard this would be)
is to partition the drive in 3 parts.
/
/home
/swap

It is something I would like to eventually implement if you think OBI
can do it easily.
so do something like (pseudo code)
if [ device_size  == 30 ]#GB
then
root=15 #GB
home=14 #GB
swap=1 #GB
showCurrentEstimate
fi

and
showCurrentEstimate()
could have a dialog with:

Root Partition Size: __15__
Home Partition Size: __15__
Swap Partition Size: ___1__

Along with an explanation of each item, something along the lines of:

Root partition is all your programs
Home is all your documents and personal files
Swap is the area where currently running programs are stored when not
being used

It might also be nice (eventually) to try to detect Windows being
installed... (I know this is fairly hard to do reliably because of many
factors) and then prompt the user to partition the harddrive (with a
GOOD accurate description of what they should do).

I think it could be good to have a menu item that says *Install
Alongside another OS manually
*This should have a good description of what to do (maybe with
weblinks... xdg-open http://someaddress.org ) and take the user to
gparted automatically (while still showing the description in the main
window for easy reference).

This may be the best way to make it clear.  Thoughts?
**

-Israel
ToriOS Team