Re: ToriOS-alpha-rc2.iso testing

Den 2015-01-08 01:29, Israel skrev:
> On 01/07/2015 11:50 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> Den 2015-01-07 18:46, Smile4ever skrev:
> Hi Nio,
> Something else I have thought of (let me know how hard this would be)
> is to partition the drive in 3 parts.
> /
> /home
> /swap
>
> It is something I would like to eventually implement if you think OBI
> can do it easily.
> so do something like (pseudo code)
> if [ device_size  == 30 ]#GB
> then
> root=15 #GB
> home=14 #GB
> swap=1 #GB
> showCurrentEstimate
> fi
>
> and
> showCurrentEstimate()
> could have a dialog with:
>
> Root Partition Size: __15__
> Home Partition Size: __15__
> Swap Partition Size: ___1__
>
> Along with an explanation of each item, something along the lines of:
>
> Root partition is all your programs
> Home is all your documents and personal files
> Swap is the area where currently running programs are stored when not
> being used
>
> It might also be nice (eventually) to try to detect Windows being
> installed... (I know this is fairly hard to do reliably because of many
> factors) and then prompt the user to partition the harddrive (with a
> GOOD accurate description of what they should do).
>
> I think it could be good to have a menu item that says *Install
> Alongside another OS manually
> *This should have a good description of what to do (maybe with
> weblinks... xdg-open http://someaddress.org ) and take the user to
> gparted automatically (while still showing the description in the main
> window for easy reference).
>
> This may be the best way to make it clear.  Thoughts?
> **
>
> --
> Regards
>
> -Israel
> ToriOS Team

It should be straight-forward to add the option of a home partition, or
maybe to switch automatically like you suggest. But I think It would
need quite a bit of programming and debugging.

It would probably be easiest to make it work via the advanced OBI level,
just add the possibility to select a home partition (that already
exists, made with gparted before starting the OBI).

But I cannot promise a date, because I don't know when I will have the
continuous time needed for such a project.

-o-

I have noticed how the Ubuntu developers are struggling to make 'Install
alongside' less dangerous and to make the detection of Windows reliable.
I do not want to add that trap for beginners to make them delete Windows
without understanding what they do. This is particularly bad when UEFI
is involved, and there is no guarantee, that people won't try that
option in BIOS mode is a computer where Windows is installed in UEFI
mode or left hibernated or semi-hibernated.

Making people use gparted will help them get aware of the partitions of
the connected drive(s).