Re: ToriOS Beta2

Hi Nio and everyone!!
(inlines)
On 02/23/2015 03:17 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Hi again Israel and all toriosadores,
>

> @ Israel:
>
> *ToriOS-beta*
>
> What happened to ToriOS-beta2? Did it build successfully during the
> night, so that you can upload it to the internet today?

I have been working to fix a few annoyances, and big problems with the
live image.
George's bug is critical.  So I have been rebuilding and testing before
I release the next ISO.
I want Beta2 to have a nearly(or FULLY) fixed Live Version
> @ all toriosadores:
>
> *OEM installation*
>
> The current installed system (tarball) works with the user torios. But
> for the next major version after beta, maybe we'll call it 'the release
> candidate', I suggest that we use an OEM installation (with a wizard to
> create a user id and an own password).
>
> If that will make the iso file too big for CD, there could be an
> alternative OEM style iso file, oversized for CD but useful in all
> computers that can boot from DVD/USB.
>
> It is also possible to upload a separate ToriOS OEM style tarball to be
> used with the standard One Button Installer, which boots from USB.
>
> But in the best of worlds, we can make an OEM tarball small enough for a
> CD size ToriOS iso file.
OEM install is my priority for the RC testing ISOs.
Beta will be just our own in-house testing.... though any user can in
fact add their own user and remove torios without problem. I have done a
few extra things recently, and they may solve our issue with OEM config...

> *Installation with meta packages*
>
> Another alternative is particularly good for people who want special
> partitioning or other special features. The ToriOS meta packages in
> Israel's PPAs make it possible to install ToriOS from an Ubuntu 12.04
> LTS mini.iso.
>
> 1. Install a minimal text based system
> 2. Boot into the installed system and install the meta packages.
> 3. Reboot and you run ToriOS :-)
>
> It is also possible to do this from the Ubuntu Server or any Ubuntu
> desktop system. The hard disk drive and menus might be bloated with
> software that belong to those systems, but it works.

Nio, I would very much like to make a preseed file.  This could be used
from the mini boot splash... you can add it in as a kernel parameter.
It would also work for the  Ubiquity/UbiquityLight installers... however
I do not have the time to research this right now...  there has been a
lot to learn about session management.  building the equivalent of a DE
is quite the research project :)

> -o-
>
> What do *you* need? How do *you* want ToriOS to be available?
>
> Best regards
> Nio

-Israel
ToriOS Team