Re: ToriOS Beta2

On 23/02/15 13:53, Israel wrote:

> Hi Nio and everyone!! (inlines) On 02/23/2015 03:17 AM, Nio Wiklund
> wrote:
>> .... Hi again Israel and all toriosadores,
>>

>> @ Israel:
>>
>> *ToriOS-beta*
>>
>> What happened to ToriOS-beta2? Did it build successfully during
>> the night, so that you can upload it to the internet today?
>>

> I have been working to fix a few annoyances, and big problems with
> the live image. George's bug is critical.  So I have been
> rebuilding and testing before I release the next ISO. I want Beta2
> to have a nearly(or FULLY) fixed Live Version
>> @ all toriosadores:
>>
>> *OEM installation*
>>
>> The current installed system (tarball) works with the user
>> torios. But for the next major version after beta, maybe we'll
>> call it 'the release candidate', I suggest that we use an OEM
>> installation (with a wizard to create a user id and an own
>> password).
>>
>> If that will make the iso file too big for CD, there could be an
>> alternative OEM style iso file, oversized for CD but useful in
>> all computers that can boot from DVD/USB.
>>
>> It is also possible to upload a separate ToriOS OEM style tarball
>> to be used with the standard One Button Installer, which boots
>> from USB.
>>
>> But in the best of worlds, we can make an OEM tarball small
>> enough for a CD size ToriOS iso file.
> OEM install is my priority for the RC testing ISOs. Beta will be
> just our own in-house testing.... though any user can in fact add
> their own user and remove torios without problem. I have done a few
> extra things recently, and they may solve our issue with OEM
> config...
>

>> *Installation with meta packages*
>>
>> Another alternative is particularly good for people who want
>> special partitioning or other special features. The ToriOS meta
>> packages in Israel's PPAs make it possible to install ToriOS from
>> an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS mini.iso.
>>
>> 1. Install a minimal text based system 2. Boot into the installed
>> system and install the meta packages. 3. Reboot and you run
>> ToriOS :-)
>>
>> It is also possible to do this from the Ubuntu Server or any
>> Ubuntu desktop system. The hard disk drive and menus might be
>> bloated with software that belong to those systems, but it
>> works.

I can confirm this,  having run the script from a mini ubuntu install,
 I have done the same but with no desktop Environment selected (just
open ssh server) so you boot to ubuntu console, and ended up with
pretty much a torIOS desktop environment.

> Nio, I would very much like to make a preseed file.  This could be
> used from the mini boot splash... you can add it in as a kernel
> parameter. It would also work for the  Ubiquity/UbiquityLight
> installers... however I do not have the time to research this right
> now...  there has been a lot to learn about session management.
> building the equivalent of a DE is quite the research project :)
>
>> -o-
>>
>> What do *you* need? How do *you* want ToriOS to be available?
>>
>> Best regards Nio

- --
http://www.zleap.net @zleap14
Diaspora : https://joindiaspora.com/u/zleap