Re: ToriOS Beta2

Hi all,
[inline]

Den 2015-02-23 14:53, Israel skrev:

>> *OEM installation*
>>
>> The current installed system (tarball) works with the user torios. But
>> for the next major version after beta, maybe we'll call it 'the release
>> candidate', I suggest that we use an OEM installation (with a wizard to
>> create a user id and an own password).
>>
>> If that will make the iso file too big for CD, there could be an
>> alternative OEM style iso file, oversized for CD but useful in all
>> computers that can boot from DVD/USB.
>>
>> It is also possible to upload a separate ToriOS OEM style tarball to be
>> used with the standard One Button Installer, which boots from USB.
>>
>> But in the best of worlds, we can make an OEM tarball small enough for a
>> CD size ToriOS iso file.
> OEM install is my priority for the RC testing ISOs.
> Beta will be just our own in-house testing.... though any user can in
> fact add their own user and remove torios without problem. I have done a
> few extra things recently, and they may solve our issue with OEM config...

I've made an OEM tarball now (to be tested). I made it with and for my
separate One Button Installer, and it is in OEM user mode (not yet
prepared for the end user), because it is also a 'backup' of this system.

It is bigger, but not that much, It seems small enough for an iso file
within CD size.

Current version in the pre-beta iso file (size MB 10-base)
378 MB ToriOS-i386.tar.xz

My OEM tarball
392 MB ToriOS-oem-b1.tar.xz

Difference 14 MB and the iso file is 677 Mibibytes, with a margin of

23 Mibibytes approx 24 MB (10-base) to 700 Mibibytes.

>> *Installation with meta packages*
>>
>> Another alternative is particularly good for people who want special
>> partitioning or other special features. The ToriOS meta packages in
>> Israel's PPAs make it possible to install ToriOS from an Ubuntu 12.04
>> LTS mini.iso.
>>
>> 1. Install a minimal text based system
>> 2. Boot into the installed system and install the meta packages.
>> 3. Reboot and you run ToriOS :-)
>>
>> It is also possible to do this from the Ubuntu Server or any Ubuntu
>> desktop system. The hard disk drive and menus might be bloated with
>> software that belong to those systems, but it works.
>>
> Nio, I would very much like to make a preseed file.  This could be used
> from the mini boot splash... you can add it in as a kernel parameter.
> It would also work for the  Ubiquity/UbiquityLight installers... however
> I do not have the time to research this right now...  there has been a
> lot to learn about session management.  building the equivalent of a DE
> is quite the research project :)

Yes, that's a possible future option. But it is quite easy now with your
shell-script

torios-precise-x86.sh

:-)