Re: Busy with 16.04 LTS release

Den 2016-04-22 kl. 00:31, skrev Israel:

Hi Ali
(inlines)
On 04/21/2016 09:09 AM, Ali/amjjawad wrote:

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Israel <israeldahl@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:israeldahl@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 04/21/2016 08:15 AM, Ali/amjjawad wrote:

    Hi Ali,

Hi and thanks for your quick reply ..

    The precise version has the bug for network-manager in the Live ISO.
    I have been busy fixing the bugs we can fix in OBI, and the
    Software installer programs.
    I have tried a few ways to fix the network-manager bug but have
    not had success.  We have come across this bug in precise a few
    times, and have gotten it to disappear, but I am not entirely sure
    how it goes away or what is causing it.

Neither do I.

My only thought about that (from experience) is to build a new clean
ISO for 12.04.5 hoping for that nasty bug to fade away.

Every build is from the latest in the repos.  So it is more up to date
than even 12.04.5
I have no idea whether it's a ToriOS issue or Ubuntu issue? we need to
search on Launchpad for any similar bugs or we need to report a new one.

I have looked and looked for solutions, but we have had more than one
issue with network-manager and Ubuntu Precise.
It may simply be that newer versions are working better
Nio could help us by sharing that issue on the Ubuntu forums maybe!

perhaps, he doesn't have as much time as he used to.

    The Debian version has none of those issues, has more modern
    software and is supported for 4 more years.
    So since you want to release ToriOS this month, this is our best
    candidate.

My one and only objection or let me use a much better phrase ... my
one and only concern is:
We have promised everyone for 2 years that we shall release an Ubuntu
based system and with all the delay (for reasons we know) that
happened, we come and say: "Dear users, you know what? here is Debain
version!"

Debian is based on Ubuntu, so it will not be much to get used to (except
adding PPAs)
If you as a developer can confirm that would not technically affect
anything whatsoever, then from this very moment you have my final
green light to go ahead with Debian.

The only thing it effects is adding a PPA.  But the general user most
likely will not be adding a PPA.
Most things will be handled from firstrun, or the software installer.
This includes installing Chrome, Opera and informing the user how to
install Skype (you have to download each release)
I did research these things quite a bit when we originally thought we
needed to switch.
So, in that case, 1.0 will only be Debian.

With 2.0, we can have both.

But then again, if and only if technical wise, that would be the same.

    If you like I can build one from Xenial soon, and have a Ubuntu
    flavour, but it will not support PAE, unless we build our own
    kernel.  Nio has stated we most likely do not need PAE support,
    mainly just a kernel flag to support most computers.

No, I see that pointless at the stage we're now.
It is much like building from Precise, but with newer software. Precise
will be supported for a very short time, but Xenial will be much longer,
so to me it would be a good Ubuntu version to use.

    Xenial is quite similar to Debian, and should work fairly easily.
    I have tested many of our programs in Xenial already and they are
    working well.

That's for the next versions. Let's focus on 1.0 at the moment, please ;)

Yes, I will.

Nio and I have talked about offering a smaller CD in the future which a
person would download a tarball to install separately and then we could
have BIGGER OS (preinstalled software, 32 and 64bit) and it would still
work on computers that cannot boot from USB.
All this is already built into OBI (even downloading the tarball) and
will take only the effort to build a smaller ISO (I could do this fairly
easily)

We could even build the Debian ISO with a precise tarball, and install
that way if you want to use precise.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>

Hi Ali and Israel,

Let us focus on ToriOS Debian now and get it released soon. Later on we can decide which Ubuntu based version to develop.

-o-

I think you can ask about the problem with networking at the Ubuntu Forum for networking (ask in your own name).