Re: Busy with 16.04 LTS release

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Israel <israeldahl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ali

Hi and thanks for your reply ...

> (inlines)
> On 04/21/2016 09:09 AM, Ali/amjjawad wrote:
>

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Israel <israeldahl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 04/21/2016 08:15 AM, Ali/amjjawad wrote:

>> Hi Ali,
>>

> Hi and thanks for your quick reply ..
>

>> The precise version has the bug for network-manager in the Live ISO.
>> I have been busy fixing the bugs we can fix in OBI, and the Software
>> installer programs.
>> I have tried a few ways to fix the network-manager bug but have not had
>> success.  We have come across this bug in precise a few times, and have
>> gotten it to disappear, but I am not entirely sure how it goes away or what
>> is causing it.
>>

> Neither do I.
>
> My only thought about that (from experience) is to build a new clean ISO
> for 12.04.5 hoping for that nasty bug to fade away.
>
> Every build is from the latest in the repos.  So it is more up to date
> than even 12.04.5

Sorry, I did not mean that.

What I meant is: sometimes, the building process for an ISO makes a
difference. One wrong step and bugs could show up.

I haven't used 12.04 for a very long time except everytime I use ToriOS
since it's based on 12.04 but rather than that, it's been really long time
since I used something else based on 12.04 and IIRC, Lubuntu 12.04 had some
problems with the network manager.

> I have no idea whether it's a ToriOS issue or Ubuntu issue? we need to
> search on Launchpad for any similar bugs or we need to report a new one.
>
> I have looked and looked for solutions, but we have had more than one
> issue with network-manager and Ubuntu Precise.
> It may simply be that newer versions are working better

Yes, I see your point.

> Nio could help us by sharing that issue on the Ubuntu forums maybe!
>

> perhaps, he doesn't have as much time as he used to.

Ok.

>> The Debian version has none of those issues, has more modern software and
>> is supported for 4 more years.
>> So since you want to release ToriOS this month, this is our best
>> candidate.
>>

> My one and only objection or let me use a much better phrase ... my one
> and only concern is:
> We have promised everyone for 2 years that we shall release an Ubuntu
> based system and with all the delay (for reasons we know) that happened, we
> come and say: "Dear users, you know what? here is Debain version!"
>
> Debian is based on Ubuntu, so it will not be much to get used to (except
> adding PPAs)

Ubuntu is based on Debian ;)

> If you as a developer can confirm that would not technically affect
> anything whatsoever, then from this very moment you have my final green
> light to go ahead with Debian.
>
> The only thing it effects is adding a PPA.  But the general user most
> likely will not be adding a PPA.
> Most things will be handled from firstrun, or the software installer.
> This includes installing Chrome, Opera and informing the user how to
> install Skype (you have to download each release)
> I did research these things quite a bit when we originally thought we
> needed to switch.

So, you're saying that the software installation and PPA is different in
Debian?!

> So, in that case, 1.0 will only be Debian.
>
> With 2.0, we can have both.
>
> But then again, if and only if technical wise, that would be the same.
>

>> If you like I can build one from Xenial soon, and have a Ubuntu flavour,
>> but it will not support PAE, unless we build our own kernel.  Nio has
>> stated we most likely do not need PAE support, mainly just a kernel flag to
>> support most computers.
>>

> No, I see that pointless at the stage we're now.
>
> It is much like building from Precise, but with newer software.  Precise
> will be supported for a very short time, but Xenial will be much longer, so
> to me it would be a good Ubuntu version to use.

It's not about longer support. I'm very much aware of that since this page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Is on my bookmark list :D and since I'm involved with Ubuntu GNOME, I check
that page almost weekly.

ToriOS is built for very old machines. Having a Xenial spin might not do
any good for very old machine. Yes, I admit we can't really define "how
old" as that could be 5 years or 15 years ..

It needs a bit of wise decision from both of us to decide what ToriOS 2.0
is going to have? 14.04? 16.04? that's too early for now. Again, we need to
worry about 1.0 first ;)

>> Xenial is quite similar to Debian, and should work fairly easily.  I have
>> tested many of our programs in Xenial already and they are working well.
>>

> That's for the next versions. Let's focus on 1.0 at the moment, please ;)
>

> Yes, I will.

Thanks!

> Nio and I have talked about offering a smaller CD in the future which a
> person would download a tarball to install separately and then we could
> have BIGGER OS (preinstalled software, 32 and 64bit) and it would still
> work on computers that cannot boot from USB.

I am not sure I understood this correctly?!

> All this is already built into OBI (even downloading the tarball) and will
> take only the effort to build a smaller ISO (I could do this fairly easily)
>
> We could even build the Debian ISO with a precise tarball, and install
> that way if you want to use precise.

I think lack of sleeping is preventing me from getting this right. I'd
appreciate if we could chat about that the next time we're both online?!

So, in short:
ToriOS 1.0 is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or Debian?!

>From what I see, you want to go the Debian path.

Considering how much time we've spent so far, I think the wisest decision
ever would be yes for debian but I need to test that first.

How or where can I find the latest ISO?!

16.04 LTS has been released so I'm ready for some fun ;)

Best Regards,
Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>