Re: Busy with 16.04 LTS release

Hi Ali
(inlines)
On 04/22/2016 06:44 AM, Ali/amjjawad wrote:
On 04/21/2016 09:09 AM, Ali/amjjawad wrote:

    My only thought about that (from experience) is to build a new
    clean ISO for 12.04.5 hoping for that nasty bug to fade away.

    Every build is from the latest in the repos.  So it is more up to
    date than even 12.04.5

Sorry, I did not mean that.

What I meant is: sometimes, the building process for an ISO makes a difference. One wrong step and bugs could show up.

Yes, we think it is something in the build process, but I have tried changing a few things (looking at older versions). Nothing has worked and I have been fixing bugs that apply to both (OBI and software installer and jwm-settings-manager)
I haven't used 12.04 for a very long time except everytime I use ToriOS since it's based on 12.04 but rather than that, it's been really long time since I used something else based on 12.04 and IIRC, Lubuntu 12.04 had some problems with the network manager.

I am not sure I thought that was 14.04, but if I am thinking of the same bug it is different, though we had something similar happen at one point transitioning to a (mostly) XDG compliant Desktop
Ubuntu is based on Debian ;)
Sorry, you knew what I meant :D

So, you're saying that the software installation and PPA is different in Debian?!
PPAs are different, and
apt-get works
our software installer works (it uses apt)
probably the USC works, but that is not something our users will most likely use.
etc...

It's not about longer support. I'm very much aware of that since this page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Is on my bookmark list :D and since I'm involved with Ubuntu GNOME, I check that page almost weekly.

Yes I understand that.
ToriOS is built for very old machines. Having a Xenial spin might not do any good for very old machine. Yes, I admit we can't really define "how old" as that could be 5 years or 15 years ..

Right, I think it works on most old computers using forcepae, at least Trusty should anyhow.
It needs a bit of wise decision from both of us to decide what ToriOS 2.0 is going to have? 14.04? 16.04? that's too early for now. Again, we need to worry about 1.0 first ;)
We can test with Xenial first (since it will have longer support) I am on Lubuntu list, as is Nio, so if there is anything major that crops up for older computers we will have a bit of a heads-up and can use Trusty.

        Nio and I have talked about offering a smaller CD in the
        future which a person would download a tarball to install
        separately and then we could have BIGGER OS (preinstalled
        software, 32 and 64bit) and it would still work on computers
        that cannot boot from USB.

I am not sure I understood this correctly?!
ISO without the OS to install.  Size will be approx 370 MiB
I can add a bit of code to offer to download a tarball if there isn't one on the ISO (or to choose one off a USB drive, etc...)

The user downloads the ISO, and a separate tarball and installs it.
This means we can have huge tarballs with libreoffice and gimp and inkscape and geany and supertuxkart or whatever we want.

    All this is already built into OBI (even downloading the tarball)
    and will take only the effort to build a smaller ISO (I could do
    this fairly easily)

    We could even build the Debian ISO with a precise tarball, and
    install that way if you want to use precise.

I think lack of sleeping is preventing me from getting this right. I'd appreciate if we could chat about that the next time we're both online?!

So, in short:
ToriOS 1.0 is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or Debian?!

From what I see, you want to go the Debian path.

Yes, it just works.
Considering how much time we've spent so far, I think the wisest decision ever would be yes for debian but I need to test that first.

Yes, it works well, and has been really well tested in certain areas (not others yet)
How or where can I find the latest ISO?!

I sent that info to the regular torios list.
if you forget how, just visit the Downloads page.
http://phillw.net/isos/torios/
You can zsync the latest Debian
 version
http://phillw.net/isos/torios/ToriOS-Debian-daily.iso.zsync
OR download
http://phillw.net/isos/torios/ToriOS-Debian-daily.iso
16.04 LTS has been released so I'm ready for some fun ;)

Try out the software installer!!
I think it is pretty fantastic so far!!

Best Regards,
Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>