Re: download fails

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 9:22 AM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Den 2017-01-07 kl. 23:14, skrev Ali Linx (amjjawad):
>
>> Hello everyone and happy new 2017 to all of you ❤
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 4:05 AM, George DiceGeorge
>> <dicegeorge@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dicegeorge@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>     from http://torios.top/download/
>>
>>     [Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at phillw.net
>>     <http://phillw.net>.]
>>
>>     http://phillw.net/isos/torios/ToriOS-1.0.iso
>>     <http://phillw.net/isos/torios/ToriOS-1.0.iso>
>>

>> I think it's time to find a mirror or alternatives. ToriOS now is a
>> popular GNU/Linux distribution. I can see the visits on the website is
>> around 200 per day. That's can NOT and should NOT be ignored.
>>
>> For the time being, I have updated the download link with:
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw-s_t-wO9m6VUVUd2swMWZkaXc
>> /view?usp=sharing
>>
>> http://torios.top/download/
>>
>> Once we have better options, I'll add them to the page. This is
>> extremely important.
>> Yet again, Phill has failed to inform us BEFORE that. I don't want to
>> destroy what we've been working on for years just because we're having
>> our ISO hosted with such poor ethical commitment.
>>
>> Please check the attached screenshot.
>>

>>     [g]
>>
>>     ---
>>
>>     --
>>

>> --
>> Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>
>>

> Hi Ali,

Hi Nio,

> We can also encourage people to help spread the torrent with ToriOS-1.0
>
> If people keep an old computer running with Transmission or some other
> user friendly torrent client, we can be independent of a main server for
> downloading - at least to avoid emergency situations like this.

That's not a good idea, IMHO.
It's risky. I can be used as Plan C, not even B.

Plan A: we must have a very stable server where we can host the ISO.
Plan B: we need a mirror.
Plan C: torrent.

> By the way, I think Phill is working hard to make his server working
> again. And before the current problems, his server has been very stable for
> years.
>

>From a previous LONG experience with Phill, when his servers is down, it
takes 1-4 weeks until they're back to normal if not more. I have been
there. I've learned the lesson. I don't want to take more risks.

If you're happy to deal with him, that's your choice. You can use his
server as a mirror. Our main hosted ISO must be somewhere else with less
chances of such failure. I don't want our users to face such issue again. I
know from the technical side it happens. The Q is: how long it needs to be
fixed? here comes the real challenge. I can't monitor the links 24/7. So,
we need alternatives.

> Best regards
> Nio

Thanks!