Re: Debian Stretch ToriOS

On 04/18/2018 08:19 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 11:17 PM, Israel <israeldahl@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:israeldahl@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>

>     On 04/18/2018 08:07 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
>>
>>     Stretch also supports both PAE and non PAE.  They dropped support
>>     for i586 so some of the older processor features do not work
>>     anymore, but most of those features are in processors that are
>>     extremely old
>>

>>     ToriOS is for old machines and I mean very old. Using the most
>>     recent and the latest version of Debian is - IMHO - not good idea
>>     at all.
>>
>>     I see no reason why we should use Debian 9 instead of 8, at least
>>     now?!
>>     By now, I mean for ToriOS 2.0!
>>

>     Hi Ali,
>

> Hi,
>

>     Debian Jessie is now in support mode only, so it will only get
>     security updates for the major things, so moving to support
>     Stretch now is a good idea for us.  Most people can use Stretch on
>     their hardware.
>
>     For clarification, 586 Pentium or earlier is not supported.  This
>     is fine for current usage.  We can keep supporting Debian Jessie
>     based ToriOS 1.X branch and the Debian Stretch based ToriOS 2.X branch
>
>     Here are the current details about the supported architecture:
>
>     As per:
>     https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.html.en
>     <https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.html.en>
>

>             2.1.2.1. CPU
>
>     Nearly all x86-based (IA-32) processors still in use in personal
>     computers are supported. This also includes 32-bit AMD and VIA
>     (former Cyrix) processors, and processors like the Athlon XP and
>     Intel P4 Xeon.
>
>     However, Debian GNU/Linux stretch will /not/ run on 586 (Pentium)
>     or earlier processors.
>
>     [Note] 	Note
>
>     If your system has a 64-bit processor from the AMD64 or Intel 64
>     families, you will probably want to use the installer for the
>     amd64 architecture instead of the installer for the (32-bit) i386
>     architecture.
>
>     --
>     Regards
>

> Have we asked our users?!

Either way, Debian Jessie is supported until 2020, so we will continue
supporting it.
I think it is wise to offer a version of ToriOS with more up to date
software packages as well.

Mostly I get requests for Ubuntu versions (xenial, bionic), so I do plan
to make some of those as well, once I am finished with Stretch.