Re: lightweight applicatons and GUI

On Sat, March 16, 2019 6:37 am, Israel wrote:
> I am always looking for light weight alternatives to GIMP (I like GIMP,
> but it is really heavy for what I usually use it for).

Me too.

> Did you modify anything?  I know you like to modify makefiles (and
> sometimes source) to suit your needs and also to improve cross platform
> capabilities.

It built fine pretty much as is.  The only thing I needed to change was
the include location for SDL.  It pointed to "SDL/SDL.h" and I switched it
to "SDL.h".  Otherwise, it couldn't find my SDL include files on my
system.  I'm hoping to add SDL2 support at some point, but haven't had
time to look into it.  I also like grafx2 and graphicsmagick for graphics
editing.

I.mage is really interesting, but it's not easy to build.  The developer
probably designed it on Windows since it works better (and looks better)
on that system.  It uses GTK as a backend on Linux machines.  The
developer recently added some partial support for a SDL backend.  So, I
may look into trying to get that working at some point.

The calendar program you mentioned in another post sounds really
interesting.  Look forward to checking it out.  I've used fltdj if I need
a lightweight PIM.

I've been trying to use picogl (a TinyGL fork) on systems that don't
handle OpenGL well or don't support it.  I've been adding missing OpenGL
features to picogl as I run across things I need from programs I'm porting
with it.  I just added support for the glTexSubImage2D command.  However,
I found a bug with textures.  When I specify texture coordinates, it is
sometimes rendering a little more of the texture than it should.  That's
probably in the original rendering code, so I don't think it's going to be
any fun to track down that bug and fix it.  Seems to be working pretty
well as an OpenGL substitute otherwise.  picogl has nano-x and vesafb
backend options (as well as SDL), so you don't even need X to use it.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp