Re: Time Investment

On Wed, July 22, 2020 12:20 am, Paul Sutton wrote:
> So we have some text to speech support what about OCR support if that is
> more mature,  what about building that in,  with OCR it also should support
> pictures

Tesseract comes to mind for OCR.  There are others too, but none of them
seem to match the quality of a commercial solution.  Speech to text and/or
text to speech support would need to be added to the programs themselves
(unless your running console programs in command line).  An OCR program
could potentially be used independently.

I also recently ran across this library:
https://github.com/liblouis/liblouis

> Can we make it really easy to switch between boot to gui and boot to cli
> pleasek  there is an option on the raspberry pi configuration tool (which
> has both a curses (text) and gui widget, you just click a tick box.

On Debian I do that by installing and uninstalling the login manager.
Haven't run across any Linux distributions that offered an easier way to
do it.  Have seen distros that let you swap window managers easily.

>> Make a collaborative effort.  It doesn't need to support more than you
>> want.  A simple dialog-type library that can be easily used in more
>> complicated programs would be great!

What would we need beyond what's already available in current dialog style
libraries?  Maybe we should look into adding things to a project that is
already out there rather than starting from scratch.  I thought yad
handled a lot of things.  There are also projects like Electron and NW.js
that could be used to create custom screens and script with them.

> So if we find the ones with similar goals, and can work together,  this
> may prove that idea works and other groups of distros may be inspired to do
> the same in their way.

Might be a good time to quantify our goals then.

> agreed here,  the lxde people told me when i mentioned this on sourceforge
> that there is a perfectly good text file to manually edit the menu,  this
> is exactly the attitude that makes Linux seem elitist rather than for
> everyone.

I happen to like a good XML file myself (like the one jwm uses).  I've
seen a few menu editors around.  Again, might be good to catalog what's
out there and see if we can add features to an existing project rather
than starting from scratch.

>> Think about it, if Debian, RHEL, Ubuntu, Suse, and Arch worked together
>>  on a safer chroot/jail that worked cross distro, it would help
>> everyone.
>>

> Good point,  I am guessing this is like running each application but
> keeping the application isolated from other apps and to some extent the
> wider system, for security reasons.

There's proot which is supposed to be a safer chroot.

Applications working together from different distributions sounds a lot
like what Bedrock Linux is doing.  Also EasyOS from the developer of Puppy
has another solution for this.  I've seen some distributions using Docker
to accomplish this.  Keep in mind if you're running applications from
multiple Linux distributions, it's either going to take space to store all
those libraries and/or execution speed to emulate processors, etc.  That
wouldn't be the first option I looked for in a lightweight distribution
for older systems.

> I will get something set up on cryptdrive for this,  we can always move
> later but if it works for initial brainstorming that is a good thing.

Thank you.