u+1 team mailing list archive

Re: [Lubuntu-qa] Fwd: Proposal to drop Ubuntu alternate CDs for 12.10

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Nicholas Skaggs
<nicholas.skaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 08/28/2012 09:34 AM, Anthony Byrne wrote:
>>
>> I agree with A. Grandi! The alternate installer is *much* more stable
>> than any live CD. And what about SSH installation?
>>
>> I second the community vote idea, as well. The other *buntus are very
>> likely to follow suit, so I believe in at least giving the public a
>> heads-up.
>>
>> --
>> A. Byrne
>>
>> On Aug 28, 2012, at 12:23 AM, "a.grandi@xxxxxxxxx" <a.grandi@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> so you have already decided? I did think there was a discussion before
>>> proceding, but it looks like this change will already take its effect
>>> starting from the next beta. Don't you think we should ask first the
>>> community what they think about? It's non sense that in less than 24
>>> hours you start the discussion on ubuntu-devel and you have already
>>> decided for everyone. I can't get it, sorry.
>>>
>>> Let me say that this is the worst idea ever proposed! I won't be able
>>> to use Ubuntu on my desktop anymore because I'm using a RAID 1 setup
>>> and I want to do a safe installation not using some workaround later
>>> after installation and risking to loose my data.
>>>
>>> Even more, alternate install CD is the only way for some PC to
>>> complete the installation. You can't imagine how many time I had to
>>> use alternate installer because ubiquity was freezing.
>>>
>>> I really cannot understand how you can propose something that will
>>> make Ubuntu worse than it is,
>>> We're supposed to make Ubuntu BETTER not worse.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Andrea Grandi - Nokia-DX/Tampere / Qt Ambassador
>>> Ubuntu Member: https://launchpad.net/~andreagrandi
>>> website: http://www.andreagrandi.it
>>>
>>> --
>

> As Brendan said, I would encourage those of you who have concerns to post
> them back to the ubuntu-devel list @ Steve et la for discussion. If you
> remember back to UDS, the original idea as discussed was that no
> functionality would be lost (aka, the live cd would get support for
> everything the alternate cd could do). They've come close, but RAID support
> didn't quite happen.
>
> Note that If the alternates are dropped for ubuntu, going forward, if you
> wish to install with RAID (or simply want to use an alternative installer)
> you still have the option of using the netboot or mini iso.
>

> Nicholas

Ubuntu is dropping something that people love, see:
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/yydbp/ubuntu_alternate_cds_could_be_dropped_for_1210/
In favor of something that Ubuntu created.  Have I seen this before?
Never mind that some percentage of people can't use the Desktop
installer.  Think of it as a little surprise for new users.
</sarcasm>