Re: Internationalization and localization of the web editor

On 02/04/12 06:32, Janos Gyerik wrote:
> Don't you want to allow completely new translations? Either way,
> another table with all the accepted languages will be good. But should
> it be limited to existing accomplishment languages? How about we
> import all iso639-2 language codes like en, ja, hu, ... ?

Should we load that table with the languages that Ubuntu is translated
into? Assuming we can find the list somewhere of course. I would also
suggest we ensure that it works equally well with 2-character codes (ISO
639-1) or 3-character codes (ISO 639-2, ISO 639-3 and ISO 639-5, I know
it's confusing). For example, Asturian, which is a language for which
Ubuntu has translations only has a 3-character code: ast.

We should also ensure that it works with country variants such as fr_ca
(Canadian French). If you want to go the extra mile, you could also
support third level variant to support dialects or script variants (e.g.
Serbian written in the Latin or Cyrillic script) but that may be pushing
the boat :-)

> Btw do we really need en_gb? Cheers, Janos

Hell, yes! If you drop that, you'll have the whole Ubuntu-UK community
filing bugs about words like colour and rubbish bin :-) But we're a
reasonable bunch, we will understand if you want to ignore en_gb_scouse.

Cheers,

Bruno