Re: Internationalization and localization of the web editor

Hi Bruno,

project is to provide a simple web interface for editing the
accomplishment documentation that you find in an accomplishments set
(E.g. the docs in lp:ubuntu-community-accomplishments). See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accomplishments/Specs/WebEditor for more
details.

If you can help work on this, that would be wonderful!

On 2 April 2012 14:09, Bruno Girin <brunogirin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/04/12 06:32, Janos Gyerik wrote:
>> Don't you want to allow completely new translations? Either way,
>> another table with all the accepted languages will be good. But should
>> it be limited to existing accomplishment languages? How about we
>> import all iso639-2 language codes like en, ja, hu, ... ?
>
> Should we load that table with the languages that Ubuntu is translated
> into? Assuming we can find the list somewhere of course. I would also
> suggest we ensure that it works equally well with 2-character codes (ISO
> 639-1) or 3-character codes (ISO 639-2, ISO 639-3 and ISO 639-5, I know
> it's confusing). For example, Asturian, which is a language for which
> Ubuntu has translations only has a 3-character code: ast.

Sounds good. I have a few quick questions:

 * Is there a way in Python in which we can detect which ISO code is
the default language for the user's machine?
 * We will be storing the different translations as a sub-folder in
the accomplishments set (e.g. ~/accomplishments/ubuntu-community/fr/
and ~/accomplishments/ubuntu-community/de/) - is there a master list
of country codes we can use to know how to name these sub-folders?

> We should also ensure that it works with country variants such as fr_ca
> (Canadian French). If you want to go the extra mile, you could also
> support third level variant to support dialects or script variants (e.g.
> Serbian written in the Latin or Cyrillic script) but that may be pushing
> the boat :-)

Agreed. I suggest we keep this simple at first.

>> Btw do we really need en_gb? Cheers, Janos
>
> Hell, yes! If you drop that, you'll have the whole Ubuntu-UK community
> filing bugs about words like colour and rubbish bin :-) But we're a
> reasonable bunch, we will understand if you want to ignore en_gb_scouse.

Sounds reasonable. :-)

   Jono

--
Jono Bacon