Re: Global-isation?

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 02:43 +0000, danteashton@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> There is little point in doing an advert for the old GNOME interface;
> I mean; that's almost like doing an advert for Windows Vista/7, whilst
> promoting the layout of Windows 95...

Obviously I agree, but I don't remember M$ ever 'promoting a layout'.
Vista was promoted as being 'better, faster, improved'.  So was 7.  But
that isn't really the main point.  All the ads can hope to achieve is to
draw people into the shop.  The 'shop' needs to have enough stories and
information to encourage folk to try a liveCD.  The ads themselves don't
need to show Gnome, Unity or anything else!  Maybe the website needs to
have a screenshot or two, but there is more time to get this up and
running.

Yitzchak made a very important point.  It is Ubuntu we're selling and
not Linux.  Linux is scary and has a bad image.  And anyhow, Linux is
only a kernel and ordinary folk won't want or need to know about that.
He also points out that folk are not interested in what's under the
bonnet.  They accept that there must be some kind of engine, but don't
want to delve deeper.  Their question is, 'What could it do for me?',
and our answer is basically 'It will give you a better computing
experience without buying expensive hardware.  Try it and see.'

The slogan on http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop is 'supercharge your
computer with Ubuntu'.  I think that's the message, and I think that
rather than demonstrating Ubuntu with screenshots, we ought to give the
potential user a 'tour' of users on video-clips.  In short, tell the
story.

As is, the Ubuntu web site is excellent and all the information is
there.  It just needs a bit more by way of video clips.

I think some of the responses have focussed too much on what Ubuntu
can't do.  Getting folk using the liveCD and finding out for themselves
is surely the best answer.  If they try it and it won't do what they
want it to do, there's no problem.  It is not for them.

Regards,		Barry.
--
Sent from my desktop using Ubuntu - the window-free environment
that gives me real fresh air.