Re: research ....

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM, christopher winter <
christopherwinter@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> What's all this negative image about mac users? I myself use a mac
> primarily (my macbook pro is dual-booting with ubuntu) and find there is not
> really any support whatsoever on the system be it official, community or
> otherwise. If I need help with ubuntu I can hit up the forums and get a
> reply that helps within a day, pahaps we should push this community feature
> within the adverts?

I don't think online forums are a feature that sells. It's for nerds,
basically. Cool or just ordinary people spend their time on forums, they
spend it on facebook or "news" sites or video sites.

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Barry Drake <b.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 17:31 +0000, christopher winter wrote:
> > On the other point, when I mention ubuntu to people they think its
> > what geeks and nerds use and the only reason I and other people use it
> > is to show that I can and because I'm "really smart on computers",
> > that's before even mentioning Linux. we need to somehow push this
> > image aside and show that it is easy to use and install, its not that
> > hard at all and getting easier with every release.
>
> This is why I'm advocating stories told by ordinary non-geek users.
> Real faces and voices telling real stories about their 'freedom' since
> they were unchained by Ubuntu.

"Freedom" doesn't sell products that easily, especially not if we use an
ideological tone. IMO we should focus on Ubuntu as a tool or product. A
pleasant high quality means to a utilitarian end, not a way to "be free".
Most people don't even know they are caged, so we should focus on showing
them what they are missing out on, rather than assuming they already know
their own predicament.