Re: Firewire video capture .....

On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 14:57 +0000, James Tait wrote:
> I can remind you that, for Kino at least, I had to edit the
> permissions on /dev/raw1394 to allow me write access, although there
> are security implications to allowing unprivileged users that
> possibility, which is, I believe, why it isn't enabled by default.

Now you come to mention it, I think that is what it was about. There is
a help page at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firewire not the kind
of thing a newcomer should see!

If all else fails, I'll put Ubuntu as a fresh install on a spare hard
drive on my PC and work this through.  How would folk feel about a
script to do the necessary each time Kino is fired up?  It could first
test that a camcorder is the only firewire device present and tell the
user that it is risky to continue if it finds anything else.  Having
done that, the script could set the permissions and fire Kino up.  It
could even reverse the permissions after exit from Kino.

Regards,		Barry
--
What do you see when you use your Computer? Same old thing?
...There IS a Better Way!  Ubuntu!