Re: seropith wants to join

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 06:49:50PM -0600, Jon wrote:

> Brian Murray wrote:
> > Thanks for your interest in joining the Ubuntu Bug Control team.  As
> > part of the application process we need to ensure that the following
> > criteria are met.
> >
> > 1) Do you promise to be polite to bug reporters even if they are rude to
> > you or Ubuntu?  Have you signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct?
>
> I will remain polite at all times, regardless of the bug or exchange
> in the bug tracker, answer tracker, IRC, or anywhere else Ubuntu.  I
> have signed the Code of conduct here
> https://launchpad.net/~seropith/+codesofconduct

Great!

> > 2) Have you read Bugs/HowToTriage[0], Bugs/Assignment[1] and
> > Bugs/Importance[2] at wiki.ubuntu.com?  Do you have any questions about
> > that documentation?
>
> I have reviewed and understand that documentation.  At this time, I
> have no questions.
> > 3) What sensitive data should you look for in a private Apport crash
> > report bug before making it public?  See Bugs/HowToTriage[1] for more
> > information.
> Usernames, passwords, banking information, CSS (or any private crypto
> keys), anything personally identifiable, or items that could cause the
> user or system to be exploited.

That is correct.

> > 4) Is there a particular package or group of packages that you are
> > interested in helping out with?
>

> Ubuntu in general.  I've not become interested in a specific package,
> however, I would like to work with the bugs filed against ubuntu in
> general.  I can set the proper packages, ensure they have the proper
> information, et cetera.  I'm not a developer, but I can help manage
> the bugs.

This would be a big help, we still have quite a few bugs without a
package.  You might also find the following report helpful:

http://people.ubuntu.com/~brian/reports/no-package-attachments.html

My thought when generating that report was it would be easier to find
packages for these bugs since they have attachments.

> > 5) We also need to see a list of five or more bugs which you have
> > triaged.  These bugs should demonstrate your understanding of the triage
> > process and how to properly handle bugs.  If there is a bug in your list
> > that does not have an importance indicate what importance you would give
> > it after becoming a member of Ubuntu Bug Control.  Please use urls in
> > your list of bugs so I can more easily find them.
> >
> > [0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage
> > [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Assignment
> > [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/350530
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer/+bug/350529
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/349604
>

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/350548
>
> I believe this one to be a non free fglrx issue, for which I can cause
> this bug to be assigned as a duplicate, but require more information
> from the reporter.
>

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/349371
>
> I think my translation in this bug was able to assist the reporter in
> resolving his issue.  I have set this one as invalid.  It is not a
> bug, instead, the drive had no space.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-system-tools/+bug/349361
>
> This one has enough information and I was able to reproduce it on both
> my production side and testing side.  I have confirmed the bug.  It's
> importance would be medium.  It affects a small population (those who
> would need "Users and groups") /and/ it affects the distribution.
> That package is installed on the distro by default.  It should
> authenticate.

In none of these bug reports did you indicate what importance you would
give them if you were made a member of Bug Control.  This is a critical
part of the application.

Additionally, I'm going to agree with Andreas and ask that you wait a
couple of weeks and get some more experience triaging bug reports.  You
are off to a great start and I look forward to seeing 5 more bugs and
importances(!) in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com