Re: Fwd: Bug-control access for Debian Developers

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Micah Gersten <micahg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/17/2011 12:52 PM, Jorge O. Castro wrote:
>> Hi bug team,
>>
>> mdz brought up Debian Developer access to Launchpad bugs in this
>> thread on debian-derivatives:
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2011/06/msg00034.html
>>
> I think that DDs should have the same streamlined process as any other
> upstream, but still should have to acknowledge our policies before being
> given bug control membership.  Also, I don't believe they qualify for
> team membership as they are all considered separate entities and do not,
> for the most part, have a hierarchical structure where there are team
> leads that can take responsibility for the changes the team makes and do
> the appropriate training (as opposed to the Canonical HW Cert team which
> has this).

>From my experience, I think DDs actually would like a system or
interface that removes the requirement of registering with launchpad.
They use the Debian BTS as the example of a bug reporting system that
anyone could submit, comment, change, without maintaining an account.
They also like the ease of manipulating bugs through email

Ubuntu has the debian developers keyring, could something be made that
they could interact with the LP through LP's email interface by
signing a message?

I also don't think you have much to worry about DDs flipping switches
in a harmful manner since they are used to dealing with different
upstream bug trackers that all have their own policies (which DDs had
to research before using.) I believe that bug control exists because
Ubuntu did a great job of bringing in many non-technical users to
submit bug reports and help with triaging, and you didn't want someone
without experience escalating, demoting, or otherwise interfering with
workflow before they demonstrated that they knew what they were doing.
I think it is fair to expect DDs to be better than that.

I'm a DD and don't mind maintaining a LP account (and have gone
through the steps to be ubuntu bug control too), but many DDs just
want to do to LP bugs what they can do to BTS bugs the same way ubuntu
developers can modify BTS bugs the same way they can modify LP bugs.

A compromise is to just give DDs an open invitation to bug control:
ask them to set up an LP account, sign the code of conduct, and then
shoot a quick email to Bug Control saying that you've read
{relevant_documentation} and would like permissions.

~Scott