Re: Fwd: Bug-control access for Debian Developers

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Micah Gersten <micahg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Would a note in the existing Debian <-> Ubuntu teamwork documentation
>> be sufficient for this? Not that I envision DDs swarming Launchpad and
>> flipping all the buttons, but surely if they're in Launchpad already
>> then they have an interest in working with the Ubuntu team and this
>> would bring more plusses than minuses?
>
> IMHO, no, since there's no obligation to read it.

It's been pointed out to me in IRC that I am giving the impression
that all DDs automatically would get bug control, so let me clarify
that so there's no confusion.

I am saying we make people in the Launchpad ~debiandevelopers group
members of bug control. The access control for that group would be
done by the existing Ubuntu/Debian folks (the same people who have
traditionally done this kind of work, aka. #ubuntu-debian folks). If a
DD doesn't care about bugs in Launchpad then they'd likely not really
care if they have permission to change it.

If they do care about it then it'd be easier if the existing
Ubuntu/Debian developers to put those people in the team and then work
the people that way. Also the obligation thing isn't so important,
Ubuntu developers aren't obliged to work with Debian either but we
encourage people to do so because it's the right thing to do, I think
the same thing applies the other way around.

(I personally think given the amount of trust that we have in Debian
with most of the packages in Universe that it's reasonable to give
them blanket bug-control, but I can understand the team wanting to be
strict about access, which is why I think having interested DDs put in
a team is a middle balance.)