Re: Kubuntu triage policy conflicts with Ubuntu triage policy

On 03/30/2014 12:57 PM, Philip Muskovac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to explain things, lets go a bit back into the past to around
> 2010. The situation with bug reports against KDE packages back then
> was essentially: - Only very little triagers (i.e. 1-2, mostly a
> developer) - These types of bugs: A) Bugs in the packaging that
> affect us, but not upstream B) Upstream bugs C) Long fixed
> upstream bugs that were never closed
>
> Quite frankly, the only bugs we really care about are A), B) to
> the extent that they make sense for SRU's - otherwise not, same for
> C)

I understand the argument, but the same could be made for Ubuntu.  I'm
not clear on exactly why this argument wins for one and not the other,
and more importantly, since there is only one bugcontrol group and one
project that covers both, if there is such a distinction, it needs to
be documented in the Ubuntu triaging guidelines.

> Also, I don't really see how our policy *conflicts* with the
> ubuntu triage policy (it should've been documented as a special
> workflow though I guess?) We do not mess with the bug importance,
> most of our bugs are never moved from 'Undecided', otherwise the
> Ubuntu-wide rules apply, so no issue there. When it comes to the
> status, all we do is close the bugs much earlier in the workflow.
> So if an ubuntu triager would triage a KDE bug following the ubuntu
> policy he wouldn't intefere with any workflow (unlike the 'Stop
> triaging bugs' thread we had last week). We would just go ahead and
> close it. If the bug wasn't fully triaged - by sending the reporter
> upstream, if it was fully triaged - by just closing it explaining
> why.

It conflicts because the Ubuntu policy is to track bugs, whether they
are upstream ( as the vast majority are ) or not.

> From my very personal POV (as I originally come from the ubuntu
> side), the ubuntu triage policy is a very good workflow for bug
> management. It just doesn't scale for the Kubuntu team.
> Improvements welcome (but none that require us developers to spend
> more time that we don't have)

I still don't see a distinction between Ubuntu and Kubuntu triaging
teams.  It's one team.  It is one distribution, just with different
desktop cd spins that have different package subsets preinstalled.