ubuntu-developer-manual team mailing list archive

Re: Developer Manual Sample App

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 07:58 -0700, Rick Spencer wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 07:20 -0700, Rick Spencer wrote:
>
> > I guess we could just write some urllib2 code and then use beautiful
> > soup, and use that to make a UI. We could start with a really simple UI
> > that dumps a feed into DictionaryGrid.
> >
> > I'll give it a start, and see how it goes.
> So I tried it out. I wrote this code:
>
>         # Code for other initialization actions should be added here.
>         f =
> urllib2.urlopen("http://identi.ca/api/statusnet/groups/timeline/8.rss";)

I'd suggest using gio for downloads, because that's async and won't
block the UI.
http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/03/15/download-files-async-with-gio-and-python/ is the answer here -- we should encourage people to do as much stuff as possible in an async way (maybe a wrapper library would be good here? http_download(url, callbackfunction) ? )

sil